Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Had my first experience with Claybar

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 08:30 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had my first experience with Claybar

Ok, well last night, i was at Pepboys and had absolutely no reason to be there. So i was looking in the detailing section for cleaning products. I grabbed a can of Metal Polish for my exhaust, Meguiars Plastix (i'll get in to that product in a second),and a Mother's claybar kit. I got home used the metal polish, worked awesome! and moved on to the Plastix, it didn't do anything for me, so i am a little upset with that product, then i moved onto the claybar kit. Let me tell you, i was a shaky about the product because i didn't really believe that it would work, and i used it on my rear bumper where there was tons of road abrasion and grime. After a few passes over with this product, i was literally astonished! I could not believe that with all the stuff i tried to get this grit and grime off with, a few passes over with this claybar, and silky smooth. I never had this problem before because i always had my car garaged, well i no longer have a garage, so i have to take better care. This claybar is awesome. Needless to say, i did the rear bumper, front fenders and half the hood before it got dark, i am going to wash and re-claybar the rest tonight!

John
Old 05-25-06, 08:53 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the clay bar!!

I constantly say that the clay bar is one of the best detailing tools you can have. I drive my GS year round and only clay it once maybe twice a year and it keeps it smooth as glass. They work awesome!!!
Old 05-25-06, 10:36 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Originally Posted by JohnGS4
Ok, well last night, i was at Pepboys and had absolutely no reason to be there. So i was looking in the detailing section for cleaning products. I grabbed a can of Metal Polish for my exhaust, Meguiars Plastix (i'll get in to that product in a second),and a Mother's claybar kit. I got home used the metal polish, worked awesome! and moved on to the Plastix, it didn't do anything for me, so i am a little upset with that product, then i moved onto the claybar kit. Let me tell you, i was a shaky about the product because i didn't really believe that it would work, and i used it on my rear bumper where there was tons of road abrasion and grime. After a few passes over with this product, i was literally astonished! I could not believe that with all the stuff i tried to get this grit and grime off with, a few passes over with this claybar, and silky smooth. I never had this problem before because i always had my car garaged, well i no longer have a garage, so i have to take better care. This claybar is awesome. Needless to say, i did the rear bumper, front fenders and half the hood before it got dark, i am going to wash and re-claybar the rest tonight!

John

You said you would get around to discussing the PlastX... what about it? At the moment, I am hating that product and feel it does more harm than good!
Old 05-25-06, 10:54 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, i have the same feeling as you do about the product. I used it on my side view mirrors where the plastic had noticeably started to wear. I put it on followed the directions as stated on the bottle, and it didn't do a thing for me! Looked exactly like it did before once it dried.

Meguiars PlastiX ==
John
Old 05-25-06, 11:13 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used PlastiX on my yellowing headlights for my SC400 and it worked great. I guess it
all depends on what you're trying to do. It's a mild abrasive so it did the job just fine for me.

I haven't clay barred my car since I first got it over 2.5 years ago. I noticed it was getting a lot
of little particulates on the bumper and roof the other day when I was washing it so I guess
it's time to do another pass over.

There goes another whole day just to beautify the car. Wife will not be happy......
Old 05-25-06, 11:19 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah man, they never are, too much time with the car, not enough time with them. Boy, the sound of a car purring is much better than hearing wifey *****ing! lol

John
Old 05-25-06, 11:28 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Claying is the best, helps you reveal something that was hidden, as was the case for me. I purchased my car from a guy who had just waxed it. Car was beautiful, paint was perfect everywhere, he says car was never in an accident. Well a few months pass by and i decide to try the clay bar on the car. Low and behold what i find. After claying the driver side door and front fender, i find that it has been repainted, i could tell because of the orange peel effect that was present on that side only. After looking through the records more i found out that the car had indeed been to a shop for minor damage. Just goes to show you how deep a clay bar can go.
Old 05-25-06, 06:53 PM
jz4203
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used PlastiX on my headlights (98 GS with 205k miles). Big improvement and returned the clarity of the headlights. Haven't tried it anywhere else. Clayed the same care last weekend. Car paint is now smoother than my wife's 5 month old 2006 BMW (future project). Besides the bad areas (rear quarter panel and behind front wheels) the most notable improvement was doing the clear bra on the front of the car. It's not as silky smooth as the paint, but a tremendous improvement.
Old 05-27-06, 10:38 PM
gs3la
Driver

i've used the plastix product to clean my headlights (98 gs300)and i had a very noticeable results. then i used it to clean up my cousins' headlights and foglights (2001 is300) which are very worn and beaten. on his car the first time it didn't do much, by the third pass there was a very nice clean shine and a lot of the small fine scratches were gone. it took a lot of elbow grease and microfiber towels to get these results. i was satisfied with the results so i decided i would do the same for my mom's 2001 rx300. SHE even noticed the results, and she's not the type to notice something as minor as a blemish on her headlight. when i compared the just polished headlight to the other there was a lot of haze that was removed. good stuff. worked for me but i havent used it on anything other than the headlights and tail lights.