Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How often is TOO often to wash your car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 03:06 PM
RealNinjuz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often is TOO often to wash your car?

At my local place, its $20 a shot or $47 a month. Since I generally wash my car every week, I figured I should save myself a couple of bucks.

Here is my question for you. How often is TOO often to wash my car? Every day? Every 3 days? Is once a week even too much? I hate to think that something I love as much as getting my car cleaned could be detrimental. The last thing I wanna do is mess up the cars (apparently) delicate paint.

Input please.

P.S. my ride is Tungsten Pearl.
Old 05-25-06, 03:11 PM
chubbymike
Driver

I think it's really up to you. But it does take a lot of time to wash the car by yourself. so if you have a lot of free time or are willing to invest a lot of time, then do it as often as you think it's necessary.
i just recently bought a whole bunch of car wash stuff and from the products I saw, there are lots of them that does not hurt the paint. so as long as they're clear coat safe, I don't think there should be any problems. but again, I'm not a car detailing expert.
but bottom line is how much time are you willing to spend washing your car each week or do you have other more important things to do like spending time with your family/friends/ sleep.

I got pretty tired washing my car yesterday and waxing...so i think once a month is plenty for me!
Old 05-25-06, 03:30 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO opinion, you could wash your car everyday, provided two things. One, that you also wax it accordingly. Two, that you use an absorber or chamois (sp?) I use an absorber and have for my previous cars, one black, pearl white, grey and my white IS. I think its the toweling and drying that really kills the car. I know back in the day, before the absorber I used to wash my car often, i was in HS had nothing else to do. The swirl marks and etc were apparent, I prob would have been off never washing the car. Now, if i go to a car wash I only go to hand car washes, and even then I opt to pull to the side and dry my car off myself. Either that, or I go to a self wash and only use the water gun, plus soap...no scrubbing. Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-06, 03:32 PM
RealNinjuz
Rookie

Well, im 22 and retired pretty much, so my days are spent just hanging out and doing whatever I want, so I could take it to them every day if I really wanted to and if I thought my car wouldn't have any adverse affects. Its not necessary to take it that often or anything, but if there is no harm, why not?
Old 05-25-06, 03:33 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is it "clean" enough...

Originally Posted by RealNinjuz
Here is my question for you. How often is TOO often to wash my car? Every day? Every 3 days? Is once a week even too much?
If your car is clean, don't wash it. If you do, then that is too much.

But don't forget, clean is objective. Clean may be sparkling for some people, and clean may be "I can see through the windshield enough" for other people.

Do what you need to do. Otherwise, if you are just wasting money on washing your car, rethink your spending and do good with that cash...
Old 05-25-06, 03:40 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If I understand correctly and you're going to take it to a carwash, I'd say once is too many.
Old 05-25-06, 04:01 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Well, im 22 and retired pretty much, so my days are spent just hanging out and doing whatever I want, so I could take it to them every day if I really wanted to and if I thought my car wouldn't have any adverse affects. Its not necessary to take it that often or anything, but if there is no harm, why not?
22 years of age and retired??? Did you even start a job
Old 05-25-06, 04:15 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Another recommendation is that if your car is pretty clean, then just use the detailing spray from the more reputable companies ... you know, to use between washes/waxing. so i think instead of washing your car everyday/ every 3 days,etc. just try to wipe it down every day after you drive it and you can keep it pretty clean.
i'm just too lazy to do that plus i don't think i'm that obsessed about keeping my car THAT clean.
Old 05-25-06, 05:35 PM
acl15
Lead Lap

Is using the mr clean attachment on the hose good for our cars? the last step of the wash is to spray it with purified water, which keeps water spots from forming... this is a good way to wash the car right? I do it about every 10 days. How often should we wax our cars?
Old 05-25-06, 06:59 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mwaull
22 years of age and retired??? Did you even start a job
I was thinking the same thing... Maybe he atarted a internet company..LOL Must be nice...
Old 05-25-06, 07:22 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think washing your car daily would be a little bit overkill. If these cars didn't make so much brake dust, I probably wouldn't even wash it once a week.

Then again, if I was 22 and retired, I probably have nothing to do but clean the car.
Old 05-25-06, 08:11 PM
artie00
Rookie

Well if you car isn't too dirty for a car wash and is just dusty, I recommend using the California Car Duster. Kind of a quick fix to use in between washes to keep it clean. I just used it on my car and it looks clean again.
Old 05-25-06, 09:09 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Well, im 22 and retired pretty much, so my days are spent just hanging out and doing whatever I want,
Dang. let me in on the secret!
Old 05-25-06, 10:15 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wash my car every week and wax it maybe every two months or so. Washing it by yourself doesn't take longer than an hour a week... Time well spent!
Old 05-25-06, 10:54 PM
mikewpu04
Driver

Once every two weeks in fine for the body, but I def clean those front rims at least every week....

Quick Reply: How often is TOO often to wash your car?