Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Question for applying zaino

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 09:02 PM
argabaga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for applying zaino

Finally got around to cleaning my car for the first time, went through the dishwashing detergent wash, clay barring, wash with z7, zpc.
it started turning dark when I got around to applying the z5, and I gave up halfway through for today ><

I was using a microfiber application pad to apply it, slightly wet the applicator and the car before applying. Under the light I had though, I couldn't tell if I even applied the z5 or not. It seems the applicator was absorbing most of the zaino, and very little of it was getting on the car. Is it the lighting, because it was just a small light, or should I use something other than the MF applicator? Or am I not putting enough on the pad?
Old 05-25-06, 09:52 PM
buhda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was probably just the lighting, color of the car might also be a factor. Zaino when applied correctly is really hard to see, especially on light colored cars. Not sure if the MF applicator has anything to do with it as I always use the cotton ones that they give you with the products. You could alway just leave it on and wait for the morning when there's better lighting to see if it hazed up or not.
Old 05-26-06, 05:06 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by buhda
It was probably just the lighting, color of the car might also be a factor. Zaino when applied correctly is really hard to see, especially on light colored cars.
I agree, it is very hard to see on my Blizzard Pearl, but on my wifes X5, which is Sapphire Black, it is easy. Make sure you have lots of light, it does make it easier to see and also try looking at an angle. Good luck!
Old 05-26-06, 05:35 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Applying Zaino is kind of a 'leap of faith' because it IS so difficult to tell sometimes, but if you apply it in slightly overlapping straight lines, and your pad is moist, you're fine.

Polymer sealants ONLY need to make surface contact, and here's where the problem arises: if you're used to a carnauba wax where you can easily see where you've applied it, you're going to try to recreate that effect ( which is the wrong approach here), and for Zaino, you're not only wasting it by applying that much, but you're creating a curing problem with it that will necessitate much longer drying times with a heavily loaded pad, not to mention removal problems with a thick coat.

Thin is key, so as long as the pad is still moist, you're applying it, whether you can see it or not.
Since it layers, don't worry so much if there are spots you may have missed, you'll get 'em on your next layer.