Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

GS 300 Black Center Pillar Scratch/Nick

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 02:42 PM
OCBadger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 300 Black Center Pillar Scratch/Nick

Anybody have idea of what to use for touch up of the center pillar (black-colored) between Front & Rear doors. Since this pillar is coated with a different paint/material than rest of car finish, I am in the dark on this. I have a hairline scratch and a little chip (from keys accidently?).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails GS 300 Black Center Pillar Scratch/Nick-centerpillartouchup_may302006.jpg  
Old 05-31-06, 05:41 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your best bet to approximate the existing coating is to use a basecoat/clearcoat paint touch up. If you use a brush on version of that, it will not be completely hidden ...you'll still notice it. With something that glossy, you always will see a touch up, even if you wetsand it. The only option to completely hide it is to sand and respray the whole trim piece.

If you're so inclined to do that, let us know and we'll guide you through the process.

Also, the very best result can only be had with a quality canned base clear (DuPont Chromabase, PPG etc.) and sprayed with a gun/compressor...a rattle can base/clear won't be quite as glossy or durable, but it might be something only you would really notice.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is: If you want it to look like new oem, take it to a body shop. If you want something decent, spary it yourself with a rattle can, if you just want to touch up the scratch / chip(s) and aren't that picky, then brush on some base/clear from the small touch up paints available at auto stores.

Best of luck.