Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

layering meguiars wax products

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 10:05 AM
skiptomylo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default layering meguiars wax products

Will layering meguiar's gold class wax on top of Meguiars NXT wax give better results than just multiple layers of NXT?
Old 06-01-06, 10:43 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 317 Likes on 230 Posts

I doubt it, and generally as a rule I try to avoid mixing different types of waxes as they all seem to have a slightly different formula. I don't KNOW that mixing waxes does any detriment to the overall effectiveness as a wax, but I like to play it safe.
Old 06-01-06, 09:18 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on what your definition of "better" is. I find that NXT x2 (12-24 hours in between coats) gives me the best results for my needs.

I've topped NXT with other waxes with good results. Just remember to allow the NXT to cure for 12-24 hours before topping it with another product.
Old 06-02-06, 12:07 PM
skiptomylo
Driver

I want to get a better gloss out of the layering so I wanted to see if GOld class would get better shine. My car is Navy Blue BTW..
Old 06-04-06, 11:16 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want high gloss and sharp reflections then I'd stick with NXT x2 (12-24 hours apart) by itself. Navy blue is a darker blue, right? If you want deeper, richer reflections (which is often the case with darker colors and red) then I'd top the NXT with a good carnauba. I'd suggest something like Natty's Blue or S100 (which can be found at your local Harley Davidson store. Whatever you use to top the NXT (if you choose to top the NXT) be sure to let it cure for at least 12 hours.
Old 06-05-06, 05:19 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SDLexus
If you want high gloss and sharp reflections then I'd stick with NXT x2 (12-24 hours apart) by itself. Navy blue is a darker blue, right? If you want deeper, richer reflections (which is often the case with darker colors and red) then I'd top the NXT with a good carnauba. I'd suggest something like Natty's Blue or S100 (which can be found at your local Harley Davidson store. Whatever you use to top the NXT (if you choose to top the NXT) be sure to let it cure for at least 12 hours.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 06-05-06, 06:27 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

Originally Posted by SDLexus
I don't have a garage where I live. It's pretty dusty here too, so is it possible for me to do this? Also what does letting it "cure" entail?

Thanks