Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Why all the Swirl Mark Complaints?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 06:23 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
what color was your audi?
German...what else

Old 06-06-06, 09:31 PM
RaysIS350
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Me either. I suspect it's just fine on other colors other than Black Onyx... it just shows every little thing every time you touch it with a swirl, scratch or spiderweb.
I'm VERY careful when I wash - 2 bucket - Micro Fiber Mitt - Micro Fiber Drying Towels - always done by me.

My Black Onyx at 2100 Miles already is showing a ton of Swirl marks. I'm at a loss how I could treat it better.

But it sure looks nice right after a wash! Just starts to show everything soon thereafter
Old 06-06-06, 10:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I use to wash my car all the time. I was a detailer, but for my GS, i neglect it since it's impossible to keep the car swirl-free when my neighbor has a big tree toppled over my car. Leaves fall on it all the time.

Though I do use the Meguiar washing mit (the tan one, not white. too lazy to look up the name).

Swirl is unavoidable, even if you're the best detailer.
Old 06-07-06, 05:26 AM
hughr
Driver School Candidate

My red is250 has the same scratch problems. I took it back to the dealer and had them buffed out. After washing my car with a microfiber mit and drying with absorber I put a coat of gold class wax on using a sponge applicator and a microfiber cloth to remove the haze. Scratches appeared again. In my opinion there is a problem with the clear coat . I tried to remove the scratches with scratch x and more were created. Swwms like there is no way to prevent them.
Old 06-07-06, 05:47 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by hughr
My red is250 has the same scratch problems. I took it back to the dealer and had them buffed out. After washing my car with a microfiber mit and drying with absorber I put a coat of gold class wax on using a sponge applicator and a microfiber cloth to remove the haze. Scratches appeared again. In my opinion there is a problem with the clear coat . I tried to remove the scratches with scratch x and more were created. Swwms like there is no way to prevent them.
ScratchX will remove swirls. It's a hell of a lot of work by hand but it does work. Often people I've seen use it don't use it properly. It contains diminishing abrasives. As you polish with it the abrasives keep getting smaller and gentler until the surface just looks wet. You need to use this on a cool surface and not in the sun or it will dry while you are polishing. You also need to work it in a small area at time and once it has broken down it needs to be removed while it is still wet. You do need to clay first.

Swirls on dark colors are challenging but not impossible to remove or diminish significantly. Using a glaze will hide swirls as well. Some wax product will also make swirls less visible.

I use Meguiar's Speed Glaze (#80) about once a quarter with my Porter Cable polisher to remove any swirls. If you have a dark colored car find swirls annoying you should consider buying a Porter-Cable polisher and some pads. Using a PC makes swirl removal ten times faster and easier. I use Meguiar's Show Car Glaze (#7) to fill any remaining swirls and yield that "wet paint" look. I cover the glaze with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax (x2) which also has some hiding ability. When finished with this routine swirls are non-existant.

Old 06-07-06, 06:07 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Many times swirls are not removed but only filled in with oils that are removed when washing. Whether you pay someone to "remove" the swirls or polish out the swirls yourself I would recommend checking to see if they have actually been removed or just filled in before applying any sealant or wax. Simply use some Isopropyl Alcohol or paint cleaner on the area to remove any fillers to see if the swirls are actually removed or just temporarily covered up.

Many new cars come with dealer induced swirls to start with that may or may not be hidden. You have to polish out the swirls instead of just covering them or they will keep coming back.

Of course anyone with a black or red car is fighting a much tougher ongoing battle with swirls since they show so much easier on black and red. If you have black or red and want to be swirl free you pretty much need to buy a PC and some polish and be prepared to polish your car a couple of times a year. Removing light swirl marks with a PC twice a year with a light to medium grade polish is pretty easy and risk free with a PC and will not degrade your clearcoat enough over the long term to even notice.
Old 06-10-06, 06:45 PM
hughr
Driver School Candidate

The problem is'nt swirl marks, it's straight line scratches. Yes you can remove/repair them but the problem is they should'nt ocurr in the first place if you wash and wax the car with care.