Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

small shortcut in claying process

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 03:44 PM
SC4n00b
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small shortcut in claying process

Hi,
I've been looking into claying my car for the first time, and have read lots of threads on it here
Looks like the general procedure is to:
wash
clay
wash
polish
wax

A friend told me I could skip the polish, and wax(NXT) the car after the second wash.
Is this true?
Old 06-05-06, 04:03 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 301 Likes on 223 Posts

Technically yes, but after you clay it might leave the paint a little hazy or you may incurr minor scratches through the clay process or during your second wash on an unprotected paint surface (since there will be no wax on the car). You should try to use a swirl remover (Scratch X, 3M Swirl Mark remover, Scratch Out) if not a real polish before you wax it over. I have heard that NXT is both a polish and a wax in one step (2 in 1). So if you really don't have time to polish or use a swirl remover first, you should be OK to just use the NXT after the second wash.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-06, 04:32 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Be a little careful in their claims that it removes swirls and fine scratches, it most likely removes the appearance of swirls and fine scratches by filling them. I polish my vehicles to remove swirls before using any wax so I can't say whether or not NXT actually removes them or not but you should be able to tell after a few washes, if the swirls start to reappear you are either inducing them with your washing methods or the fillers are washing off and showing the same swirls you "removed" before.

To the original post, sure you can skip the polishing step, especially if your paint is in good enough condition after claying and you are happy with the appearance.
Old 06-05-06, 04:47 PM
SC4n00b
Driver School Candidate

thx guys,
I don't have access to a random orbital buffer and I hear attempting to polish the whjole car by hand is not a good idea

When using dawn to wash off the wax, how concentrated should the dawn solution be?
Old 06-06-06, 08:34 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 301 Likes on 223 Posts

Use 100% dawn in your regular wash bucket with your regular amount of water, about 3-4 drops of the stuff is good enough to wash the whole car with.
Old 06-06-06, 08:49 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

No need for the dawn unless you are a Zaino zealot. Just use your normal car wash and if you are using a good lubricant for the clay and wipe off with a good MF towel you don't need to wash after you clay. The clay will remove more wax than the Dawn (one wash with Dawn would not hardly diminish my Collinite wax enough to matter.....several washes might...)

Just my experience.
Old 06-06-06, 07:53 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Some say you don't have to wash a second time after claying, because if you use polish, they usually come with cleaners in them.

I recommend using Klasse All-In-One after your claying or second washing. Then apply Klasse Sealant Glaze, wait a day, then you can do your NXT wax layer.
Old 06-10-06, 10:47 PM
SC4n00b
Driver School Candidate

thx guys, appreciate all the help
Old 06-15-06, 05:39 AM
Oceanedge
Driver School Candidate

Default But wait...theres more!

Why would you consider skipping the Polishing step? .....I use the BlackFire Gloss Enhancing Polish (which has glazing properties built in)....and it makes the car look awesome when it's done ...I'm tempted at times to quit right there and say "GOOD ENOUGH!!"....because it looks so glossy.....

Then when I put some BlackFire Wet Diamond on top of it to protect it...WOW....the shine is well worth the additional 30 minutes it took for me to apply the polish.