Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

First Big Detail...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 10:17 AM
Mr.BigDanD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Big Detail...

I am planning on detailing my 2006 Black/Black IS350 very soon.. I will first start by listing the products I currently have:
Sonus SFX Ultra Fine Detailing Clay
Sonus Glyde Detailing Clay Lubricant
Klasse All-In-One
Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
P21s Carnauba Wax
3M Swirl Mark Remover (Dark Colors)

My car is about 3 weeks old and it is in great shape.. The swirl makes a minimal, but you can see some in direct sunlight.. I would like to protect the paint and make sure I don’t get any swirl marks in the future.. My questions are what products should I use on my IS to get rid of ALL swirl marks and bring out a great deep shine?? Do I need to add anything to remove what little swirl marks I have?? What order should I use the products that I currently have and where should I add anything?? I am a young detailer with lots to learn and I have everything I need to apply all the products by hand.. Your help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 06-09-06, 10:46 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a very ambitious goal you got there, to get rid of ALL the swirls in a daily driver black car, without power tools. Your list of products is pretty good, but I'm worried about the "by hand" part. FWIW, wash, clay, wash, swirl remover, AIO, SG, then top it with the wax. Then repeat weekly to keep your daily driver black car *absolutely* swirl-free.

Seriously, though, after you repeat this process two or three times, you'll realize the virtue of "good enough".

JB
Old 06-09-06, 11:23 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The key to keeping a black car swirl free is being extra careful every time you touch it, particularly when washing. Washing accounts for the largest amount of marring in my experience, so make sure you have the right tools and know how to wash without inflicting damage on the paint.

In terms of what you already have you should be good to go. I'd get some ScratchX for really like marring removal by hand (to go along with the 3M stuff you have). Otherwise get the AIO/SG on there, then apply the P21S; re-apply P21S every couple of months and wash very carfully in the interim and it should stay looking great,
Old 06-09-06, 11:52 AM
Mr.BigDanD
Driver School Candidate

When I said "Swirl Free" I didnt mean that I could and would try to get every single swirl mark out of my black daily driver, just like you already stated lol... I just want it to look good and keep shinny with minimal swirl marks... I do have Scrach X, but have never used it... So, the 3M Swirl Remover is ok to applied by hand?? I really havnt seen anything good out of the Swirl Remover... I was thinking of getting some Zymol wax for black cars has anyone used it?? Is that wax better then P21s???
Old 06-09-06, 12:40 PM
Aclarke
Driver

3 weeks old?

Just use your products in the order that you posted... sans "Swirl Remover"...

In all honesty, I used Mothers Synwax only on my car after owning it for maybe a month and it looked marvelous for the time being... Why mess with applying and removing products when you can make your car look great in one step? Sure it wont remove defects, but since there aren't many to begin with, why risk adding some of your own?
Old 06-10-06, 07:40 AM
Mr.BigDanD
Driver School Candidate

All I have done so far is put some P21s on it...