Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leatherique-shmeatherique!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 07:32 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OutlawTitan - you have obviously used the Leatherique products successfully so can I ask you a few questions?

It sounded to me like you have used the rejuvenator oil treatment on the same vehicle on more than one occasion, is this correct?
If so, then Is it necessary, once the leather has been "rejuvenated" to keep going through the same process from time to time (and if so, how often?), or will a good conditioner suffice to keep the leather in good shape once the Leatherigue treatment has been used to soften the leather?
And, when you apply the rejuvenator oil, how long do you usually massage the oil into the leather? I probably spent 10-15 minutes (per application) massaging each front seat - just the seating areas, not the sides or back.
And finally, when you leave the seats to absorb the oil for several hours, do you leave a thick film of oil on the surface of the leather, or not? Some pictures I have seen seem to show a very wet looking seat (like a coat of shiny plastic) after the oil has been applied and before it is left to do its job.

TIA for any other tips you have to offer.
Old 06-14-06, 05:29 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used Leatherique yesterday with good results. 1979 Porsche 928, the leather was pretty dry, some cracks. End result was the cracks were still there (obv), but way more supple, way cleaner (after pristine clean). Process was:

Apply pristine clean, scrub with soft brush
Wipe down
Apply and massage in copious rejuv oil. ~10 min per seat.
Wipe down
Apply and let rejuv oil sit (yes, a fairly thick coat), close car and do full exterior detail ~6 hours
Open car, wipe remaining leatherique.
Done.
Old 06-14-06, 07:26 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I have used the Leatherique on the same car a few times.

This is the process I use. I start early in the morning and I first clean the seats with a 8:1 dilution of water and regular Woolite with a soft bristle brush. Wipe dry. Park the car in a spot that will get full sun for as much of the day as possible. I then use the RO liberally on each seat ......massaging every part of each seats leather. A full size car takes about 30-40 minutes. Roll up the windows and leave the car until the next day (personally if it is not at least 80 degrees during the day I would leave it parked for two days).

The next day I use the Pristine Clean to spray on the seats (or liberally on the towel in hard to reach areas) and wipe the seats clean. Don't massage the seats but wipe the dirt that the RO has brought to the surface off the seats. I change towels fairly frequently depending on how dirty or how much buildup I am getting. Take your time and I would go over the driver's seat more than once because it will be a little tacky for a couple of days. This process usually takes around an hour.

Buffing with clean dry towels when you finish will also diminish the tackiness somewhat but you made need to do this daily for a couple of days. I do this to our older car every other year and my newer car annually. The older car is garaged most of the time but my newer car is outside in the sun all day every day. I usually use 303 a couple of times a year as well after cleaning with the 8 : 1 Woolite solution but you could easily use the Pristine Clean for maintenance or many other good products.

Keep it clean, condition periodically, and if it is not exposed to a lot of scorching sun I expect you would only need to do the RO/PC treatment every 2 - 3 years but it certainly wouldn't hurt to do it more often. Keeping leather clean is probably the most important step of all.
Old 06-14-06, 08:08 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your help guys! I'm defntly going to give this another try. It appears that I have been (more or less) following the same process as you. I think maybe it's just a case of needing further repeated applications to get the results I want. I'd better order some more RO and PC and really go to town on her.

BTW, I just picked up the set of new OEM Lexus floor mats that I ordered - Black mats to match the interior with white "Lexus" lettering stitched on them. Very classy and high quality stuff. It's unbelievable how much of a difference the new mats make to the appearance of the car! They were pretty pricey at $160 CDN for the set but now that I see how much cleaner and newer they make the whole interior look, it was well worth it. I gotta make sure to remove them though before I start spreading more rejuvenator oil all over my seats! LOL

Last edited by Lexucan; 06-14-06 at 08:30 AM.