Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leatherique-shmeatherique!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 12:20 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down Leatherique-shmeatherique!

Well, I just finished the third application of Leatherique's "rejunivator oil" treatment.
My opinion? Don't waste yer money.
Granted the leather on the front seats of my ES was quite dry and wrinkled. But that is why I bought this product which (so they state) will "rejuvinate" the leather and make it more supple again.
I followed the instructions to the letter, and left the car closed up in hot weather for many hours so it could penetrate the leather and do its magic.......the outcome?.....nada! After going through this process three times over three weekends, the leather is just as dry and just as wrinkled as it was before the first application. The only difference is that now the whole car smells like the stuff, which ain't too pleasant! To me it smells like rancid cooking oil...maybe that's what it is.....
Anyone have another product that might work better to bring life back into my tired old seats?

Last edited by Lexucan; 06-11-06 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-11-06, 01:09 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty pleased with Lexol Leather conditioner.
Old 06-12-06, 07:59 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

ntice how no one replys cause they like it...weird
Old 06-12-06, 08:07 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by biglexass
ntice how no one replys cause they like it...weird
So.....u replied....why don't u like it?
Old 06-12-06, 08:17 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

i have never used the stuff.but i have a soultion to your question

buy new LEATHER
Old 06-12-06, 10:30 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

If your only solution is to make biglexwiseass remarks, try another forum.
Old 06-12-06, 11:03 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea try Lexol my bro in law used it on his car and it came out looking good
Old 06-13-06, 05:18 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

It is very difficult to recommend anything without seeing the condition of your leather but IMO if 3 treatments of Leatherique didn't help then your leather may be beyond help. I have used Leatherique several times and usually one thorough, heavy application to leather in an enclosed car in 90 degree heat for 24 hours will make a pretty remarkable transformation. It will not repair cracked/torn leather but it will definitely clean and soften it.
Old 06-13-06, 06:24 AM
Guitarman

Yep, sometimes even the best stuff available cannot fix something that's too far gone.

Very few 'panaceas in a bottle', that's what keeps the upholstery , paint, and engine building guys in business. Best of luck just the same.
Old 06-13-06, 06:33 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
It is very difficult to recommend anything without seeing the condition of your leather but IMO if 3 treatments of Leatherique didn't help then your leather may be beyond help. I have used Leatherique several times and usually one thorough, heavy application to leather in an enclosed car in 90 degree heat for 24 hours will make a pretty remarkable transformation. It will not repair cracked/torn leather but it will definitely clean and soften it.
I don't think my leather is so far gone that it is beyond help. It is obviously pretty dried out and was not properly maintained by the previous owner, but I was under the (possibly false) assumption that the Leatherique was just the product to fix that. At least, according to their website it is. I have enough left for one more application. If, after that, I don't see at least some improvement in the texture and feel of the leather, I'll try the Lexol product and see what happens.

Thanks......also to BC-GS430, tuddy, and Guitarman.

Last edited by Lexucan; 06-13-06 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-13-06, 07:23 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
...If, after that, I don't see at least some improvement in the texture and feel of the leather, I'll try the Lexol product and see what happens. :
Lexol is more of a maintenance product than a rejuvenator. I doubt if you will see a difference with Lexol.
Old 06-13-06, 07:50 AM
Guitarman

I found this:

http://www.preservation-solutions.co...tegory_id=1001

It sounds like what Leatherique offers, so I have no clue if it would be more of the same or perhaps better.

It will get to the point for you i'm sure, where you'll have to decide how much you want to spend to *possibly* bring the leather back, or just live with it or consider replacement. Good luck Lexucan.
Old 06-13-06, 09:02 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Guitarman
I found this:

http://www.preservation-solutions.co...tegory_id=1001

It sounds like what Leatherique offers, so I have no clue if it would be more of the same or perhaps better.

It will get to the point for you i'm sure, where you'll have to decide how much you want to spend to *possibly* bring the leather back, or just live with it or consider replacement. Good luck Lexucan.
Thanks for finding this, G-man! I might just give it a try if necessary. But as you stated, eventually (if I'm not careful) I'll find myself having spent as much money on products to smear, spray, massage, lather, and soak into the seats as it would be to just replace the leather! The "Leather Saver" product you found sounds very much like the Leatherique stuff - even the packaging looks similar. Not sure yet if it is cheaper though......I'll take a closer look soon.

Thanks again.
Old 06-13-06, 09:14 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

....just noticed that you were in Canada. You might want to wait for a warmer day before applying again. I don't know what your ambient temperature is but in my experience Leatherique works much better when it is hot outside. I always let my car sit out in 90 degree sun for at least a day (sometimes two) before removing the RO.
Old 06-13-06, 09:56 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
....just noticed that you were in Canada. You might want to wait for a warmer day before applying again. I don't know what your ambient temperature is but in my experience Leatherique works much better when it is hot outside. I always let my car sit out in 90 degree sun for at least a day (sometimes two) before removing the RO.
Not only WAS I in Canada......I still am.
Thanks for the tip - I did make sure it was quite warm outside (about or above 25 celcius which is approximately 77 fahrenheit) when applying the Leatherique and I left it for at least 24 hours, but, maybe hotter and longer is what's needed ! (my wife always tells me the same thing!!)

I'll give it a try.

Last edited by Lexucan; 06-13-06 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Leatherique-shmeatherique!