Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

is250 cleaning tips..need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 09:25 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is250 cleaning tips..need advice

was wondering what i should use to clean the interior of my is250... the dash looks different from my 2001 gs... i use meguiars on my gs is it ok to use on the dash of the is also
Old 06-13-06, 07:23 AM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

You really don't have to use a special treatment to the dash, just a damp microfiber towel should be able to get rid of everything. First I use one of those static dust wipes to wipe off the first layer of dust, then I wipe it with a damp microfiber towel. If you really want protection, just spray on 303 Aerospace Protectant for UV protection.

I've used Meguiar's Foam dash protectant, but it isn't all that necessary, makes it feel sticky to me.
Old 06-13-06, 09:25 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly recommend 303 Aerospace protectant as well. I think it is one of the few that provides UV protection and lasts quite a while AND it doesn't leave a shiny, wet looking surface. I also use it to protect all my other rubber and plastic surfaces and even as a tire dressing. I hate the super shiny look that some of the other tire dressings leave behind. As another forum member called it, that "glazed donut" look !

Desirable to some....but not to me.
Old 06-13-06, 10:02 AM
drck1000
Driver

+1 for 303 Protectant. Excellent stuff and I like the low gloss finish on my dash and the black vinyl trim door panels. Nice finish and no problems with glare. The only "complaint" is that I have to reapply every 5-6 weeks or so. I probably don't NEED to reapply, but better safe than sorry in a high UV area like Hawaii!

FWIW, I also use 303 on my tires. For now, I prefer a matte black finish and the 303 does a nice job. You'll find feedback on very low durability, especially in the rain, for 303 used in that applications, but has been working well for me so far.

For the leather, I've been using the Lexus cleaner and conditioner. Recently got a free bottle of Four Star leather conditioner and used is this past weekend. Nice flat finish without any wet or greasy feeling. The Lexus leather conditioner smells nicer, but either way both are nice products.
Old 06-21-06, 12:00 AM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

but i guess what i'm asking is the meguiars won't damage it
Old 06-21-06, 09:56 AM
drck1000
Driver

Originally Posted by mr. aristo
but i guess what i'm asking is the meguiars won't damage it
Which Meguiar's product are you referring to? I assume you are talking about either their Quik Interior Detailer or their NXT Interior Detailer.

I've tried both and I don't like the NXT Interior Detailer. Didn't like the slick finish that it left. The Quik Interior Detailer is nice, but I don't find myself using that much, but you'll find that a lot of people really like it. I have been using just an all-purpose cleaner and 303 Protectant. I also have 1Z Cockpit Premium as well and use it on some of the vinyl trim that gets shoe scuff marks and other dirt.
Old 06-21-06, 01:42 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

For those using the 303 Protectant do you have to reapply after you use the 303 Cleaner? I've been using the cleaner/protectant about every other week. Is this overkill?