Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dawn

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 04:50 AM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dawn

Is it neccesary to use dawn to cut through the old wax before applyng polish and wax? Or can you just wash your car and apply polish and wax? Thanks for the replies in advance.
Old 06-14-06, 05:00 AM
biglexass
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well it really depends on how old your wax is and if you want to start over on the detailing process.dawn will strip all the old wax off but you must rember to apply wax that same day because your car is unprotected.i hope this post helps you,follow these wash with dawn,wash with reguler stuff,claybar,polish,wax.
Old 06-14-06, 05:22 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kloh7
Is it neccesary to use dawn to cut through the old wax before applyng polish and wax? Or can you just wash your car and apply polish and wax? Thanks for the replies in advance.
If you are about to use a cleaner/polish, the use of Dawn to strip old wax is not useful as the abrasives in the polish will remove the wax or polymer sealant better than Dawn ever could. Dawn does not strip NXT Tech Wax.

FWIW, Procter and Gambel, the manufacturer of Dawn, has this to say about using Dawn to wash your car:

Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don't recommend them for cleaning your car.
Old 06-14-06, 05:26 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 317 Likes on 230 Posts

Yeah but dawn does effectively remove the wax from the surface of your car. It's not like you are using the same amount of dawn as you would regular shampoo. You gotta use like 3-4 drops of dawn and thats it. If you wash regularly with dawn, yes that is very bad. But washing a car that has a layer of wax on it once in a blue moon with dawn to remove said wax is no harm done.

I used dawn on my NXT layer and it removed it
Old 06-14-06, 07:37 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO Polishing your car will remove wax or sealant and used properly will not do any harm. Dawn may or may not remove wax or sealant and is ok if used only periodically. I have one car with Collinite Insulator Wax (#845) and I can assure you that washing my car with Dawn will not remove the wax (in fact it will still bead like crazy) and it will also not remove the Klasse SG x 3 on my other vehicle. It will dull the shine somewhat and I am sure that it would eventually wash off both but I let the wife use it in the sink.

Washing your car with the most gentle car wash soap you can find and then polishing will remove any wax or sealant but I would recommend claying your car before polishing. IMO you you get more value for your money and better prep from claying your car than just about anything you can do. It will make your polish and wax/sealant more effective.
Old 06-15-06, 05:26 AM
Oceanedge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you Tia! Well said....Definitly a good Idea to clay bar before applying polish / glaze / protectants! No reason to seal the contaminents in the clearkote!