Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

best way to clean rims.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 04:54 AM
biglexass
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to clean rims.

hey whats the best way to clean chrome rims?as in a cleaner,polish,wax,etc.....thanks
Old 06-14-06, 05:29 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 320 Likes on 232 Posts

Works pretty well and is quick and easy. To polish lips I think you should use Mother's powerball with their wheel polish.
Old 06-14-06, 06:26 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You might not like to hear it, but first step is to remove the wheel.

Using a brush and a Scotch-Brite pad with a bucket of car wash, scrub the entire wheel, both inner and outer surfaces. Rinse,dry and then polish with "Mothers" chrome polish, using a sponge to apply. Allow to dry and polish with cotton or microfiber cloths. Attention to the wheel lug recess and the chrome lug nuts themselves.

Cleaning and polishing the inner wheel sets off the chrome outer wheel.

In addition, I use the Michelin brake dust repellant (autozone) as the last step. It seems to resist the brake dust from sticking to the chrome on the wheel..both inner and outer surfaces. You can feel the silky smooth surface on the chrome.

Replace the wheel ... Torque to 76 Ft Lb
Old 06-14-06, 07:34 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tammy

Using a brush and a Scotch-Brite pad with a bucket of car wash, scrub the entire wheel, both inner and outer surfaces. Rinse,dry and then polish with "Mothers" chrome polish, using a sponge to apply. Allow to dry and polish with cotton or microfiber cloths. Attention to the wheel lug recess and the chrome lug nuts themselves.

In addition, I use the Michelin brake dust repellant (autozone) as the last step. It seems to resist the brake dust from sticking to the chrome on the wheel..both inner and outer surfaces. You can feel the silky smooth surface on the chrome.

Or If you don't want to go this far, I've used the stuff that NYLexSC recommends and it does a fabulous job.

CV
Old 06-14-06, 12:13 PM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tammy

Now thats cleanin some wheels!
Old 06-14-06, 05:57 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

i bought thats stuff.i work at tire kingdom so i use there lifts to clean the inside of my car.how do you know if there clear coated or not.now iam polishing and waxing my rims every day.(i live like 3 blocks from the beach)is that too much
Old 06-14-06, 06:16 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Chrome plated rims will not be clear coated. A nice feature of chrome plated rims is the relatively easy clean-up they afford. I really don't have to do anything special to mine except wash ( just NXT carwash ) and occasionally polish with Mothers and protect with NXT Tech Wax.
Old 06-15-06, 08:52 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

I have two favorites: Eagle One All Wheel & Tire and P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner.

If you have clear coated wheels then apply Zaino Z-2 Pro or use Poorboys Wheel Sealant. Klasse AIO also works.