Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint Fade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 02:26 PM
hakes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Fade?

I had a body shop remove some pin-stipes on my GS300 and there are lines left on the sides of the car where the paint affecte the clearcoat - which is cool and somewhat expected. I am having the stripes re-done with a different color. What is unexpected - there is a small area (size of a couple of quarters) where my paint looks darker in an area right at the end of where one of the stripes was. I have a metallic silver car. Did the body shop rub some clearcoat away or something? I cannot for the life of me feel a difference from that surface to the other surfaces of the car. Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 06-15-06, 05:05 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From your description of it...it very well could be that they burned through the clearcoat to expose the basecoat. The base without clear on it will be a different shade/tone. Did they tell you they wetsanded or buffed the car?

Have you mentioned it to the shop?
Old 06-16-06, 06:30 AM
hakes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure of their method, but I bet what you described happened. I have discussed this with the shop. They did the new stripe last night and it looks good and hides most of the "damage" - my previous post was an exageration, as the area affected is about the same as two dimes put togither. The new stipe covers it pretty good. I would rather live with the small imperfection than get into it with them, have them paint the quarter and then possibly have other issues. Thanks for your response.

PS - no charge for the new stripe.