Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ziebart-like polyseal product in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 10:31 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Teflon requires very high temperatures to bond it anything. So no, nothing mentioned, including Ziebart is like a teflon coating. All sealants and waxes, including Ziebart, are sacrificial barriers to dirt and grime that are designed to wear away over time. In fact from what I've seen, Ziebart's premium Diamond Gloss is inferior to Zaino and Meg's NXT when looking at optical clarity and wet-look shine. I'd place it more in line with a product like NuFinish. BTW, According to Ziebart's own literature, it contains neither Teflon nor silicon. If you like how Ziebart sealant looks after a year you will like how NXT or Zaino looks.

Here is a 16 year old daily driver that has been detailed every 3-4 months and sealed with Meg's NXT polymer sealant. Notice there are no swirls. I spend about 4 hours every 3-4 months to detail this car.

There are no products that look as good a year after they have been applied. In fact appearance begins to deteriorate after a few short months. Durability and appearance life depend on several factors including where you live, drive and the environment your car is kept is in. Take your black car out in the sun and look at the finish from a few angles a few months after your product has been applied and tell me there are no swirls. If you objectively look at the paint you will conclude that it will look better after the detail than it did before. That said, I'm **** about the appearance of my cars and would never let it go for a year.
I gotta admit...

Your MR2 looks AWESOME (I *think* it's an MR2...either that or a celica?)

Anyway, I'm sold...I'm going to look elsewhere to protect my paint.

You guys rock...appreciate all the advice.
Old 06-20-06, 11:26 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Now's probably a great time to ask...

What is the "Zaino" product for the interior of the vehicle (i.e. Leather, carpets and plastics)?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 06-21-06, 01:18 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Z9 and Z10 are their leather cleaner and conditioner. It's a good combo, smells nice. Z12 is their glass cleaner, it's ok. They don't have a carpet cleaner or interior vinyl protectant. For that I would highly recommend 303 products.

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
Now's probably a great time to ask...

What is the "Zaino" product for the interior of the vehicle (i.e. Leather, carpets and plastics)?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 06-25-06, 01:25 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

I'm just telling you that there is no product aside from a clear bra that will help mitigate swirling.
Actually the Ceramiclear paint from PPG on the Mercedes is fairly effective based on my neighbor's experience.

In any event, any Ziebart or Toyota seal product has not been durable over the long haul based on my experience. Most dull out at 3 months. Claims for any sealant lasting a full year are grossly exaggerated.
Old 06-25-06, 06:41 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

You're killing me.

OK, I will qualify my statement. A clear bra is the only 3rd-party product you can use to mitigate swirling.

Ceramiclear is a specially formulated paint that is a factory only option; it's unrealistic to count it as a "product that helps mitigate swirling" since it's an actual paint and is unavailable for anyone other than Mercedes and Volvo owners (and is available from the factory only).

That's like saying "buying an Audi will help you mitigate swirls because the paint is harder".

Last edited by picus; 06-25-06 at 06:45 PM.