Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

People with clear bra . . . what kind???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 12:05 AM
JasonC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josephdoc
I
Premier is the first choice in NorCal . Last time I was there, I saw a Carrera GT with FULL/100% clear bra over the body. I asked about the price and it was... more than $10K. Believe it or not (I telling you that I am not crazy to have Endless for my 2IS)! I saw the only place was not coverd was the metal mesh over the engine in the rear and the exhaust pipes.

Bottom line is, material matters a lot but you have no choice because limited service provided in your area. I don't think think AeroTect or Premier will change their material if can supply your own, and NEVER THINK ABOUT BUY THOSE EBAY KIT and DIY at home or give it to some window tint shops...!
I can't agree more. I had Premier do several of my cars and they are awesome. As others who attended their grand opening can attest, seeing their work in person is actually even more amazing than in pictures.
Those CGTs you mentioned were totally seamless to the point you can't tell there is anything on there. http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/ga...rrera_gt.shtml
I had the pleasure of seeing them do the same to a Murcielago the last time I was at their shop for some window tint. From what I hear, they are the prefered company for the Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo guys.
Old 06-27-06, 06:49 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by josephdoc
I think mine was done in Premier Mobile Group. (I gave it to a budy who works in a shop, and they farm-out the job)

Materialwise, I notice the film used by Premier Mobile Group is thicker than my friend's one which was done in dealer (ZipCode 95014). I am sure dealer farm-out their work also.

I don't know about the quality from AeroTect, but I am 95% satisfied with Premier. I guess there is nothing perfect, but I saw Premier Group would remove body parts in order to get the perfect wrap around.

http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/
A example pic from PremierGroup

Premier is the first choice in NorCal . Last time I was there, I saw a Carrera GT with FULL/100% clear bra over the body. I asked about the price and it was... more than $10K. Believe it or not (I telling you that I am not crazy to have Endless for my 2IS)! I saw the only place was not coverd was the metal mesh over the engine in the rear and the exhaust pipes.

Bottom line is, material matters a lot but you have no choice because limited service provided in your area. I don't think think AeroTect or Premier will change their material if can supply your own, and NEVER THINK ABOUT BUY THOSE EBAY KIT and DIY at home or give it to some window tint shops...!

AHA

Quite interesting to see this picture of my wifes car taken at our home in our driveway. Sam must of taken this shot since I don't have it.

Those who went to the Premier meet saw this car in person and could see how well the clear bra covered almost all the critical areas of the edges of the bumper. They wrapped completely around the sides and on to the inner fender lip .

No separate pieces, this bumper is done with one continous sheet.

Very few shops have the ability OR the skill to do this.

There is NO seam of un-protected paint at the edges folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pre-cut won't have the same level of protection and rocks hitting the un-protected edges are the worst.

As far as taking the car apart to get a full wrap, yes they did wrap around all the edges that would not be accessible if you didn't take the bumper off.

NO this is not standard practice. I took the bumper off myself.

As far as film, Premier DOES NOT use Xpel (3M), they use primarily Venture. They just use Xpel templates for pre-cut jobs.

As far as thickness is concerned or comparison to Xpel (3M) there is NO comparison. Venture is superior in rock chip protection. You would need a thick 3M to have the same protection as the thinner Venture, but then you would not be able to wrap and stretch the thicker 3M material around complex bumper shapes.

I know this because I have used and installed Xpel (3M) thick and thin myself on several cars as well as done custom cut out of raw material. The 3M isn't bad and I still have some installed going over 5 years now without a problem, however the Venture is better.

For the wifes car I trusted Premier to do the work, even though in the past I have done it myself.

Those in NorCal who want to see the car in person or ask me questions should come to our local meets listed in the NorCal section: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206222

For those not local, here's a link with a bunch more pictures of the install on my wifes car shown in the picture above:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&page=31&pp=15

Plus some Xpel custom work I did on my own car:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=xpel

And here's the custom clear bra I did on the wife's car before I had the front re-painted** and had Premier do the work:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&page=13&pp=15

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&page=2&pp=15

Last Note: I hear that new 3M may be better than what they made before. I am going to look into this and get the low down how it compares to Venture. My comments are based on the original 3M. If you are buying Xpel pre-cut, there's no telling what version you are getting and whoever you are buying from will not admit if the material is 1st gen 3M or not. They probably have no way to identify what they have in stock or what is shipped to them.

** Front was re-painted due to poor quality paint job.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-27-06 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-27-06, 11:55 PM
JT@carlab
Driver

I use 3m. It kind of expensive but it is a good investment.
Old 06-28-06, 08:30 AM
LaRock
Rookie

I'm getting 3M Xpel Full Coverage (24" Hood, mirrors, fenders, bumper, headlights, fog lights, lower bumper) done for $700. Guy is in my garage installing right now. I'm getting it done by www.atlantaprotectivefilms.com He'll come to your house to install it, if you have a garage.
Old 06-28-06, 08:45 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

I have Clearshield kit with a 5 year warranty.
Old 09-19-06, 10:17 PM
kobrapack9
Rookie

how much of the car does the clear bra actually cover? how much does aerotect charge?
Old 11-19-06, 09:23 AM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

I am trying to figure out what solution is the best one, and is available in Orlando, FL.....A car wash place is trying to sell me on clearshield, he stated the 3m (AKA XPEL) leaves more residue when/if you remove it and it also gets yellow after time, (unsure how much time, or residue or why you would remove it except for repaint for heavy damage)
So any suggestions on best products to use in Orlando for a "Clear Bra" would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 08-27-07, 07:32 AM
SC430Sam
Driver

Mikey, I am in the same boat as you. I checked out Phantom Shield (17-92 and Lee Road, across from Winter Park Village), and he uses a Llumar film. Lexus of Orlando is actually who rec'd him. He is a little steep on his prices, so I am still checking things out. I talked to the guy who does Porsche, Lambo, and Benz of Orlando, and he recommended an Avery brand clear bra. I am stuck in the middle of what to go with here. Please let me know if you find anything out.