Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

no garage, no hose Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 06:19 AM
dcxray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toyemp
For waterless wash/touch-ups, I prefer Werkstatt Quick Wash over PB's Spray & Wipe. I only wish they sold it in larger bottles (it only comes in 500ml bottles).

I wash all my cars (all black) weekly using QEW and about every 3 or 4 weeks, I will do a traditional wash just to rinse off all the areas I can't reach with a wash mitt (brake pads, inside of wheels, door jambs, etc). I've gotten it down so well that I'd say I only get an ounce or two of water on the garage floor at most.
Wow this thread and forum are awesome. How does QEW or ONR affect when or you use polish ?or wax? what products do u use? when it finally stops raining here on the east coast I believe I'm ready to begin washing and shining.

Thanks to all
Old 06-27-06, 07:06 AM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by picus
Hey toyemp; I haven't tried werkstatts quick wash - what do you like about it better than S&W? I've been using S&W forever and a day without a problem so I'm just wondering if I should give QW a try.
I find that Quick Wash does a better job cleaning without streaking than S&W. For me, S&W tended to leave a slight streak occasionally that I would either have to make a 2nd pass or use a detail spray to remove.
Old 06-27-06, 09:37 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in an aprtment building so during the winter when it snows its rough. I also use QEW and something similiar to this...

I picked one up from home depot (insecticide sprayer). Cost me about $15. Its great for washing off stubborn grime or dirt. The pressure on it surprised me to be honest. Pretty good.
Old 06-27-06, 10:36 AM
dcxray
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSoup
I live in an aprtment building so during the winter when it snows its rough. I also use QEW and something similiar to this...

I picked one up from home depot (insecticide sprayer). Cost me about $15. Its great for washing off stubborn grime or dirt. The pressure on it surprised me to be honest. Pretty good.
GSoup this is definitely a good, an insecticide sprayer, I will have to get one of these. I can already imagine me using it for my wheelwells, rims and all sorts of other practical things. Do you pre-soak with QEW ? or is this not necessary.
Old 07-06-06, 04:22 AM
bazop
Rookie

Which sites or retail stores do you find these products available? Thanks
Old 07-06-06, 08:26 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

How close is your kitchen sink to the closest place you can pull your car?

If it's close enough, buy a hose adapter for your kitchen faucet - it screws on in place of the bubbler (the thing on the end of the faucet with the screening) - and allows you to connect a garden hose. Then just route the hose through the kitchen window and over to your car.
Old 07-06-06, 12:58 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If you decide to go the ONR route I would highly recommend trying the Optimum Car Wax as well. Wash the entire car with ONR, immediately spray on some OCW (panel by panel) and then dry the car with a waffle weave towel. You can wash and wax your car in about 20 minutes.

I also use the ONR or QEW to do wheels as well. After I finish drying the car I use one of my old Costco Microfiber towels to wash the wheels and dry with a regular towel.

Wash, wax, and clean your wheels in less than 30 minutes in the garage.

Side note.....In my experience the OCW is difficult to use when the temperature is under around 50 degrees.

I love Spray and Wipe for dust/light clean up but I am out of it and currently using about 2 oz of QEW with 14 oz. of water as a spray for touch up cleaning (bugs on front bumper, bird bombs, etc.).
Old 07-07-06, 09:58 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dcxray
. I just moved to a condo that has no garage, hose (or outlet for one) and no driveway. I could use a few suggestions or ideas on a way to do as thorough a job as possible of restoring my paint with these limitations. I absolutely want to do the job myself. ANY help/suggestions will be appreciated.
You can go to one of those self-serve car wash places. Hose down your car, use the soft brush to clean your car thoroughly. Then rinse and dry.

You can use a good cleaner wax that can hide the swirls and hairline scratches. (I don't have recommendation.) That should take care of it.