Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino after Simoniz System 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 06:20 AM
FranES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino after Simoniz System 5

I recently purchased a certified, pre-owned 2002 Lexus ES300 and had Simoniz System 5 applied at the dealer (no need to remind me this is a rip off, I know that now). Having read this and other sites I am interested in using the Zaino line for detailing. My questions are whether I can use the Zaino products on top of the Simoniz and if so how long I should wait before doing so? I'm looking for a time frame though know it will be somewhat determined by observing the car's finish. I know the Simoniz has a 5 year warranty but it sounds like it wears off long before then.
Old 07-03-06, 01:46 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

I would do the following:

Wash the car with Z7, clay with Z18, wash again with Z7, the polish with ZPC to remove the Simoniz, then do ZFX and Z2 or Z5 combination.

The 5 year warranty is a pack of lies.
Old 07-03-06, 09:25 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FranES300
I recently purchased a certified, pre-owned 2002 Lexus ES300 and had Simoniz System 5 applied at the dealer (no need to remind me this is a rip off, I know that now). Having read this and other sites I am interested in using the Zaino line for detailing. My questions are whether I can use the Zaino products on top of the Simoniz and if so how long I should wait before doing so? I'm looking for a time frame though know it will be somewhat determined by observing the car's finish. I know the Simoniz has a 5 year warranty but it sounds like it wears off long before then.
If you had this Simonize done recently and it still looks good, I'd let it go for a while and maybe reapply an OTC wax before winter. Next spring I'd do a full detail, using clay, a paint cleaner/polish and then apply your Zaino. Zaino is very particular about bonding over waxes and pure polish/glazes. If you were to just put it over the existing wax it would not last.
Old 07-04-06, 08:12 AM
FranES300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to both of you. Jim, can you recommend some OTC waxes to use in this situation?
Old 07-04-06, 08:44 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FranES300
Thanks to both of you. Jim, can you recommend some OTC waxes to use in this situation?
The first one that I'd use is Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax (the #1 selling wax in the US). This is a good polymer sealant that is available at nearly any auto store or places like Kmart, Target, etc. The look you get from this product is indistinguishable from that of Zaino. It doesn't last as long (2-3 months) as Zaino (4-6 months) but do you get the same stunning good looks.

Another product I'd also suggest is Meguiar's #26 High Tech Yellow Wax. This is a pure wax without cleaners so it wont remove any of the Simonize product already on the car. It is mostly white Carnauba wax and as such doesn't last as long a a polymer sealant.

I'd steer clear of cleaner/waxes as they might remove most of the expensive Simonize treatment you just had applied.
Old 07-04-06, 09:04 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

I would not recommend the #26. It darkens the paint quite a bit. I used to use it on my old ES so I have lots of experience with it...years in fact sadly.

It's also well known that Jim and I have very different views on the performance of Zaino versus NXT-I simply don't think NXT looks as good. If you want to go the carnauba route then I would recommend P21S. You can find this at local boutiques or as S100 at your local Harley Davidson dealer. This wax won the Guru Reports wax test for carnauba and its the choice of many experts and it is very easy to apply and remove. Very clear as well.

I do honestly believe that you will be much happier in the long run removing the Simoniz and putting on a better quality sealant. You will achieve more clarity, wetness and durability with Zaino and maintenance will be far easier.
Old 07-04-06, 09:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by yESman
I would not recommend the #26. It darkens the paint quite a bit. I used to use it on my old ES so I have lots of experience with it...years in fact sadly.
What color was your previous ES out of curiousity? I've used #26 for many years and haven't had any "darkening" problems.
Old 07-04-06, 12:57 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

It was Oyster Pearl. All carnaubas darken paint slightly but #26 has a slight yellowish tinge. Small but noticeable. This came to light after I switched to P21S.
Old 07-04-06, 07:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by yESman
It was Oyster Pearl. All carnaubas darken paint slightly but #26 has a slight yellowish tinge. Small but noticeable. This came to light after I switched to P21S.
Hmm thats interesting, i've been using #26 on Super White (040) and Diamond White Pearl (051) and haven't had the darkening problem you described. Possibly worked negatively in your experience due to climate or even the way it was applied/maintained?