Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Chips, scratches, and swirls oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-06, 01:42 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

spend a few days at Autopia.org before you start buying anything and you will learn what you really have to do to keep it looking great and swirl free.
Old 07-07-06, 02:17 PM
drck1000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qwerty123
May I suggest something. I have a Black IS350 and have wash it at least 10 times with absolutely no scratches or swirl marks. If you are using terry cloth or 100% cotton towels to wash and dry, I would stop.
Buy Microfiber Cloths, you can buy them at your local auto parts. Keep a large stock (15 to 20)and only use microfiber to wash, dry and wax your vehicle. Also don't wash the microfiber with any other towels, wash them by themselves. If you wash them with other towels they will collect alot of strands and lint and they are HELL to get that stuff off. Trust me I know had to throw out 3.
I hope this helps.. REMEMBER THIS IS A SUGGESTION!!
Good Luck

I agree with the recommendation to use MFtowels. However, all MF are not created equal. There are cheaper ones that are more tailored for janitorial use than on paint where you are trying to protect your finish. Some of the cheaper towels leave lint all over the place as a result of cheap splitting machines. Some that don't leave lint, and don't have split fibers don't absorb much water.

There are a lot of online vendors that sell quality MF that are specifically for use on vehicle paint. There are some available OTC of course, but I haven't really tried many of those. I use this pack of 25 that I got from Sam's Club around the house and to clean the engine compartment. Other than that, i try to use only "trusted" MF on my paint. I'll also second that recommendation to purchase the MF specific detergent, but I've also used liquid Tide with exellent results. Just cheaper for me to use the concentrated MF detergent and use Tide on my clothes! Haha.

I've also used the Absorber and I though it worked really well. I actually used it almost exclusively on my previous car. However, that was before I discovered MF! Just be careful and make sure that the paint is clean and you don't go dragging debris over your paint with the Absorber, which isn't able to pull dirt away from the surface like MF is.
Old 07-07-06, 02:42 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add to these suggestions:

2 buckets, one with soap and water, one with just water for rinsing.
sheepskin mitts, real ones.. toss them after about 5-10 washes (they will start to fall apart). Use more than one.
Sheet water with a hose so less drying is needed.
Top to bottom, in the shade, rinse often.
Use bug and tar removers liberally, not pressure.

Cheers.
Old 07-07-06, 10:02 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ihartlexus
Then today I go to get it hand washed and I don't know what those inconsiderate bastards did, but I see surface scratches and swirls from the drying, WTF?, what did they use?...sand paper!!??
For dark color cars, always use touchless car wash. Decline free wash from Lexus dealers.

They probably used 100% cotton towel with polyester base like most places. If they buff it hard, the paint will get scratched by the poly. 100% cotton isn't enough, look for both 100% cotton and cotton base.