Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clay Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-06, 05:32 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bars

I was so very careful last week when I sprayed my picket fence with white polyurethane. My SC has no garage and was at the other end of the property which isn't all that big. But I'm sure that the wind was blowing away from her....I was sure. Have you figured out my problem yet? You must be physic. The entire car was covered with white over spray. I know, Iknow. A truely rookee boner for a senior citizen. Some of us have senior moments but I seem to have senior days.

I called the bodyshop supply and asked about the latest generation of buffing compounds. A very nice lady spent more than a couple minutes telling me about "clay bars". I thought she was a sandwich short of a full picnic but I went on down to see what she was talking about. After she showed me the stuff and talked some more I began to feel like the high school girl that was being assured that she wouldn't get pregnant. So when she brought out a different box with McGuires label I got some faith but no real confidence.

THAT IS THE BEST ******T............EVER!

It took off the white spray and I can't possibly see that on a white clay bar. It also got a medium brow look on it and that was just crud on the best damn paint job I've ever seen and I didn't know it was there. When I went over the sides I got black bar every square foot. My paint looks better than when I got the car and I didn't think that was possible as the seller had the little girl professionally detailed at the Lexus dealership. Its a whole new era out there. I am a rookee, as it seems, and knowing that is the first step towoards enlightenment.

Lot of good info on this board. I would have known what to buy if I had discovered this part of the forum.

Also, I learned from your posts that I should have gotten TWO bars in my $14 box of McGuires.

Thank You all.

John
Old 07-07-06, 07:33 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEd
I was so very careful last week when I sprayed my picket fence with white polyurethane. My SC has no garage and was at the other end of the property which isn't all that big. But I'm sure that the wind was blowing away from her....I was sure. Have you figured out my problem yet? You must be physic. The entire car was covered with white over spray. I know, Iknow. A truely rookee boner for a senior citizen. Some of us have senior moments but I seem to have senior days.

I called the bodyshop supply and asked about the latest generation of buffing compounds. A very nice lady spent more than a couple minutes telling me about "clay bars". I thought she was a sandwich short of a full picnic but I went on down to see what she was talking about. After she showed me the stuff and talked some more I began to feel like the high school girl that was being assured that she wouldn't get pregnant. So when she brought out a different box with McGuires label I got some faith but no real confidence.

THAT IS THE BEST ******T............EVER!

It took off the white spray and I can't possibly see that on a white clay bar. It also got a medium brow look on it and that was just crud on the best damn paint job I've ever seen and I didn't know it was there. When I went over the sides I got black bar every square foot. My paint looks better than when I got the car and I didn't think that was possible as the seller had the little girl professionally detailed at the Lexus dealership. Its a whole new era out there. I am a rookee, as it seems, and knowing that is the first step towoards enlightenment.

Lot of good info on this board. I would have known what to buy if I had discovered this part of the forum.

Also, I learned from your posts that I should have gotten TWO bars in my $14 box of McGuires.

Thank You all.

John
Yep...I call it the little Miracle bar! And did you know you can even use it to remove stubborn brake dust from your rims? I always use a fresh clay bar for my paint job but even after it's dirty it's still good for going over my wheels. It removes stuff on the wheels that even the most expensive sprays can't remove.

Last edited by Lexucan; 07-07-06 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-08-06, 07:21 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

When I use clay I cut the bar in thirds. In case I drop a piece, I toss it and replace it with another piece. Don't use a piece that has dropped to the ground or you will be scratching your paint. Store unused pieces in a Ziploc bag.

I clay the paint and then use the same bar for the glass and finally the wheels last. Does a great job on removing road film from glass.

I clay every spring and whenever the paint begins to feel rough. Great stuff.
Old 07-10-06, 10:20 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

Also, I learned from your posts that I should have gotten TWO bars in my $14 box of McGuires
That depends on what kit you get. I believe the Quik Clay Detailing System comes with one 100g bar. The Smooth Surface Clay Kit comes with two 50g bars.
Old 07-10-06, 01:51 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default clay bars

Guys,

While using this magical product I had a bad experiencs. The bar started leaving smudge marks. Turns out that after a couple of hours using the bar the paint and bar got too warm. I was able to keep going by getting a bowl with ice and water in it an droping the bar in to chill while I was wiping down. Slowed me down but I was able to keep on going.

Thank You all for you solid advice.

John
Old 07-10-06, 02:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,335 Likes on 1,422 Posts

John,

If you're leaving smudge marks you probably aren't keeping the area wet enough. Do you have a spray bottle you're using while you clay? Did you put anything into the spray bottle other than water?
Old 07-10-06, 03:54 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 432 Likes on 300 Posts

Yep, any quick detailer will work as lubricant. As for the smudges, you can clay over them again using more lubricant this time, or you can follow up the claying with a swirl mark remover or other fine abrasive polish.
Old 07-10-06, 04:25 PM
LexFather

Clay Bar= I can't believe I was washing my car all these years without it.

It IS the difference.
Old 07-10-06, 04:51 PM
jfelbab

Guys,

While using this magical product I had a bad experiencs. The bar started leaving smudge marks. Turns out that after a couple of hours using the bar the paint and bar got too warm. I was able to keep going by getting a bowl with ice and water in it an droping the bar in to chill while I was wiping down. Slowed me down but I was able to keep on going.

Thank You all for you solid advice.

John
Not sure how much experience you have with clay so bear with me here. Many first time users rub the clay with way too much pressure. The clay is supposed to glide over the paint on a thin film of lubricant. It will pick up any contaminants that are attached to the surface and above the paint. To clean the paint and remove soils below the paint (in the pores) use a paint cleaner. Don't expect clay to do it.

When you are claying properly the clay will whisk across the surface with little or no drag. I have used car wash mixed double strength for the lube but I prefer using a Quick Detailer as the lubricant.
Old 07-11-06, 09:04 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are 'enviromentalcomtaminents' the same thing as the orange and black bumps (kind aof like sand) all over my 95 white es?? I've tried everything on the market (except the claybar) and nothing has worked. If this product is so great, why aren't they available in a wider range of stores? (I found that only Kragen auto parts sold the Mother's Brand of clay bars and not Meguiars for 16.99.) My rear bumper is spotted with a TON of this stuff
Old 07-12-06, 06:20 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Are 'enviromentalcomtaminents' the same thing as the orange and black bumps (kind aof like sand) all over my 95 white es?? I've tried everything on the market (except the claybar) and nothing has worked. If this product is so great, why aren't they available in a wider range of stores? (I found that only Kragen auto parts sold the Mother's Brand of clay bars and not Meguiars for 16.99.) My rear bumper is spotted with a TON of this stuff
Wash and dry your car. Then with dry hands lightly draw your fingers over the paint finish. If it doesn't feel glass smooth you have contaminants stuck to your paint and that is what clay will safely remove.

I can find clay at my local Target, WalMart, Kmart, and all the auto stores like Checkers, Auto Zone, CarQuest, etc. If they are out ask them to get it or look to a better paint and body shop store.

You will be amazed at how much crud clay will remove from your paint. As you clay you can see what is being picked up into the clay. Fold it and re-knead it often to move the crud to the inside of the clay. Use plenty of the supplied lubricant and remember that the clay is supposed to glide smoothly over the surface of the paint. While you clay wipe your fingers over the area with the lube and you can feel if any crud is still there. After you clay post back on whether you think it was a "great" product or not.
Old 07-18-06, 09:45 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first learned about the clay when the truck I had got plasteres with epoxy primer overspray when they painted the tanks at my work. All the shops wanted like $300-$400 to remove it. One lady told me that they used the 3m clay. So i went online and thought this was a crock of poo, but I went to the local paint / detail shop and they were out of the 3m clay so I got a brand named P&S. This stuff was cheaper and worked great with just water. It got dirty so i picked up some mequires brand, and it was sticky and streking all over the place. it was just a mess. I threw it back in the can and went and got the P&S brand. It works great. Couldnt believe what all it cleaned off. Hell, it even removes gum from the side of a car, waterspots off the windows, ect. The P&S is a bit stiffer and not squish or stick to your hands as bad as the mequires. They want you to use there quick detailer with it, but why spend the extra money on extra stuff when the cheaper brand works better and with water.