Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Blue Onyx paint swirls, 30 mins=good result . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 10:12 AM
BN06
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Onyx paint swirls, 30 mins=good result . . .

I don't have pix because I don't have the patience to try to get the right lighting to show the difference. Anyway, I used Klasse (had some for my other car prior to the 2IS) all-in-one and sealer. Very pleased with the results. The BOP looks rich and deep and the swirls that the dealer PDI laid down are virtually gone(blended to invisible). Most know that you need some serious clean applicators and towels and I took the time to prepare both.

Spent literally about 30 minutes with a quick hand wash, and then the klasse. One layer of each done in the shade. I was not expecting any great result if any because of the dark color. On lighter colors klasse is as good and anything I've used. I generally alternate between klasse and good ol Sal's basement brew (zaino). I was out of zaino so klasse got used.

Pulled into the bright sun for the result and was shocked. Looked at it from every conceivable angle and after catching a few spots of sealer still not removed it looks fantastic. Maybe this should have gone in the detaling forum but whatever. It will be moved if necessary. Sorry mods.

Hope this helps with those who, like me, can't spend hours detailing. Although my car only came from the dealer with minor swirls they were there and visible. This is a good quick fix. BTW, I did as usual and used right over the clear bra. It takes a bit more elbow grease to get it hand buffed out but it blends beautifully. Virtually invisible after I cleaned the lip.
Old 07-17-06, 10:22 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

There is a difference between filling swirls and removing them. My experience (from owning several dark colored cars before this one) is that once your one-step polish/wax wears off, the swirls will be back.
Old 07-17-06, 10:38 AM
BN06
Rookie

yeah I know. I did not mean to imply that they are literally gone. Rather, they are hidden from the naked eye. Since I do this process about four times a year anyway regardless of swirls, it kind of achieves a parallel result. Thanks for clarifying for others that they are not "gone" but rather not "visible." This stuff usually lasts at least three months even here in the N.E.. You still need to do your normal exterior maintenance. I should have said, "for the lazy or too damn busy."

Last edited by BN06; 07-17-06 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-17-06, 12:22 PM
sailing217
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BN06
I should have said, "for the lazy or too damn busy."
I fit that description. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-20-06, 04:58 PM
LexFather

Great post
Old 07-21-06, 11:47 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BN06, I've had the same great results using Klasse AIO and SG on my BOP 3GS. I actually got lazy last weekend and only used the AIO and it definitely hides all the minor swirl marks I have. Do you think the SG will make much difference in terms of durability?
Old 07-23-06, 03:54 PM
BN06
Rookie

Originally Posted by SGT
BN06, I've had the same great results using Klasse AIO and SG on my BOP 3GS. I actually got lazy last weekend and only used the AIO and it definitely hides all the minor swirl marks I have. Do you think the SG will make much difference in terms of durability?
That is a good question. I don't think it (SG) will have as much of an impact on durability as it will on the duration of the color enhancement/depth of shine. Especially if you re-apply the AIO about once every 90-100 days including the non-summer months(which is more often than is supposedly necessary). I do think that the SG may help the longer term hiding of the swirls however simply because it has greater density. Either way I think both methods have very good durability.

Please post if you note a significant difference in long term durability of the treatment.
Old 07-24-06, 09:57 AM
drck1000
Driver

Where I live, Klasse AIO lasts about 3 weeks just by itself (and that's pushing it) on a car that gets parked under cover at night and in the open at work. From my experience, SG highlights tends to highlight minor marring and swirls. While I haven't noted 6 months durability out of KSG, I've noticed that it is quite durable.

Just curious, IIRC, AIO doesn't contain any abrasives or fillers. My understanding is that the chemical cleaners serve to round off the edges of the marring/swirls making them less noticeable. Or was the OP using another product for the filling? That said, I love AIO and use it to prep the paint on the vehicles that I take care of. I've noticed that it provides an excellent base for sealants as well as carnaubas and seem to get better durability with AIO as a base (as opposed to direct application after polishing or application after other cleaner waxes).