Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratch on Wood

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 10:54 AM
bdmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch on Wood

Help! I just got a scratch in the veneer or whatever it is that Lexus puts on the wood in the center console area of my new IS350. I put a sealed coffee mug in there to bring to work and the PLASTIC handle on it managed to somehow scratch the wood! The bottom of the handle wasn't even rough or sharp or anything.

Is there any way to get rid of the scratch in that wood veneer material???

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-28-06, 06:19 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use any clearcoat paint polish or compound, because the clear coating is a polyurethane, similar to your car paint.

Be cautious though, if you use something like Scratch X , or a rubbing compound, you can still rub through the coating if you don't stop at a certain point. A little rubbing will tell you if the scratch can be removed. If it begins to diminish right off, chances are good it'll come out with more rubbing. If you don't see an immediate lessening of the scratch, it's likely too deep to remove safely.

You can use your fingernail as a judge. If the nail catches on the scratch, then you probably can't fully remove it.

Whatever abrasive you use, you'll need to follow up with a very fine polish, something like a swirl remover, for ultimate clatity and to remove the micro marring a scratch removing compound leaves.

P.S. You can even wetsand clearcoated wood, just like your car paint, but I'd advise against it unless you've had experience doing that. Try a polish and see where that gets you. Best of luck!