Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bird poop + Blue Onyx = Etching?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-06, 01:41 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird poop + Blue Onyx = Etching?

Ok.. This is the 2nd mark I have on my hood..

I had gotten a really nasty bird dropping one day and it probably only sat on my hood for a few hours. However, those few hours were in the sun. After cleaning the surface, I can see it severly etched in, and cannot get it out for anything.

Now the other day I got the regular white poop on my car only hours after washing it. This time it wasn't in direct sunlight, and about 88 degree weather, somewhat cloudy. I wiped it off immediately and what do I find? Etch marks..

I keep my car upkept pretty well, along with washing, and waxing etc. What can be done to prevent these droppings from scarring my car so easily? It seems like it just eats through my wax like none other. Parking in a garage would be the best option, but apts here don't have them.

Also how can I remove them, if even possible?
Anyone else have this happen to them?
Old 07-29-06, 01:50 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one spot on my hood too... I wanna know how we can fix this too.
Old 07-29-06, 01:57 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't think etching is unique to blue onyx (BO? ).

Darker paints get hotter in the sun. Heat plus bird crap = greater chance of etching. All you can really do is remove it as soon as you notice it. Keep a good quick detailer with you and a microfiber towel, and remove it when you see it. Other than that, it's really not worth worrying about, because you can't do anything to avoid the problem other than garage your car and never drive it.

Depending on how deep the etching is, you may be able to polish it out. I bought a PC buffer awhile back with several good polishes (Poorboy's SSR 2.5 is great), and it removes swirl marks and imperfections fairly well. If the etching is deep enough to feel it when you run your fingernail over it, then you probably can't remove the etching completely.

I know it sucks to watch your expensive new car get damage like this - believe me, I'm more **** retentive about paint care than most people I know. I hesitate to even park in store lots most of the time, because I know it's just a matter of time until someone dings me good.
Old 07-29-06, 02:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

There are several posts on this topic in the detailing forum.

Here's one with advice from a pro detailer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=bird+etch
Originally Posted by Guitarman
Ouch, that hurts. That will remind me not to lend my cars out!

For the bird doo, you need to neutralize the acids because sometimes even washing the car isn't enough, and damage could still be occurring beneath the surface. Kind of like when you get battery acid on your pants, you don't actually see holes in them from it until you wash them. Same for this scenario-the water alone doesn't remove the acid, but acts as a catalyst for the acid to work. Some isopropyl alcohol will act as a drying agent on the acids that have gone into the porous parts of the paint. You can also use a baking soda and water mix to flush it.

If the acid has had time to do damage, you have to act quick and compound or wetsand it lightly to remove the visual damage before it destroys the resins deeper down. If you haven't done wetsanding, it may be best to take it to a pro. Be prepared though-if the etch is too deep, there isn't much you can do besides live with it or repaint. Hope that's not the case, and it's still just on the upper .5 mil surface.

I learned many years ago that water isn't enough to get the residual acids out. My wife parked under some lights at the mall, and when she came home, seagull droppings had already etched the clearcoat. I quick detailed the doo doo, and wetsanded the etch out. It looked perfect again. Till...

Next day, I came out to the garage and saw the etching reappear! The acids were still in the paint and even wetsanding the area didn't flush them out completely. I had painted the car myself and fortunatley for me I applied a lot more clear than oem does, so I was able to wetsand it again perfect, but it was then that I researched it and was told about the alcohol and /or baking soda approach from a detailing guru (Ron Ketcham from Autoint.com).
Clay is of no use for acid etching marks nor removing the residual acids that remain. Quick detailers are fine to remove the doo initially, but you must follow with a neutralizing agent. Time is of the essence in the case of acids.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
There are some further posts in that link that may be useful about taking care of the etching
Old 07-29-06, 09:53 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The damage caused by bird droppings has more to do with what the bird has been eating than what wax or sealant you have applied. There is no sure fire protectant other than a car cover.

Removal of etching can sometimes be done with ScratchX if it is not too deep. Might take several applications. I'd suggest that if wet sanding is needed take it to a pro. As Guitarman points out a rinse with baking soda dissolved in water works well to neutralize the acids.

Time in contact with the paint is your enemy. I carry a bottle of QD in the car at all times just for this reason.
Old 07-30-06, 08:21 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was fortunate enough to remove my bird poop etchings with the ScratcX product, but since I bought our RX330 back in 2003 that was one of my complaints about the new soft Lexus paint. I've never owned any car that chipped or etches as easily as my Lexus. I started noticing rock chips within a couple of days of ownership, and bird poop always seems to etch the paint. Every month or so I just go around the car with ScratchX and try to remove whatever blemishes I find.
Old 07-30-06, 11:27 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I was fortunate enough to remove my bird poop etchings with the ScratcX product, but since I bought our RX330 back in 2003 that was one of my complaints about the new soft Lexus paint. I've never owned any car that chipped or etches as easily as my Lexus. I started noticing rock chips within a couple of days of ownership, and bird poop always seems to etch the paint. Every month or so I just go around the car with ScratchX and try to remove whatever blemishes I find.
I was *somewhat* successful at removing a group of bird doodoo etchings with ScratchX. There were four quarter sized marks on the roof of the car (been there since I bought it) all in about a 1 sq. ft. space so I am assuming that they were the result of one attack. I was able to remove the worst of two of the marks (still have a ring around the outer edges) but the other two marks will not disappear no matter how many times I go over them with ScratchX. I must have spent at least an hour on each of them, applying, rubbing in, buffing, and repeating. But the two stubborn marks still look as ugly and noticeable as they did before I started. Actually, they probably aren't all THAT noticeable to someone who doesn't know they are there, but to me, they are a real eye sore.
Don't you run the risk of sealing in any residual acidity by using a QD to wipe a bird poop off the paint?
I read somewhere that using a neutralizing agent such as water and baking soda first is recommended before applying anything that could seal in those acidic little gems from above. I keep a spray bottle of water/bp solution in my trunk. First a spritz with that to neutralize it and then apply the QD.