Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Long lasting Wax

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 06:09 PM
ZULU789
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long lasting Wax

After reading this forum,as well as Autopia.i am still confused about lasting properties of certain brands of wax and the proper procedures.
I am requesting opinions from users in the same or almost the same of circumstances that i am in.
First ,let me tell you about the color of the car ,2003 Lexus Gs300 Sportdesign Graphite Gray Pearl (DarkGrey).
Body Condition:excellent no dent or dings. (car seems to be garaged)
Paint condition Very GOOD, just a little hairline scratch in rear panel.
Temperature:Hot temperature low 80s/High 91F to 95F,
Humidity:High 60 to 90%
Weather pattern rainy conditions followed by sun.Or Sunny conditions followed by rain.No Snow
Car parked outside (Live in apartment building very few covered spaces and opened to the street( not really fully covered.)
Now, the terrible part , my parking space faces the ocean or Intracostal waters to be more exact
No comming home drunk and try to park in automatic pilot for me..LOL

Now the question.What of all the products will provide me with the best protection and the longest lasting (durability). Not that I dont car about shine but i will put that in second or third order of importance.I don't have a Cyclo Or PC and the job will be done by hand because of building.
I am contemplating different brands , and i am looking for something easily available, and that can be applied and removed easily providing shine but most important protection
I am also contemplating car cover (let see if the Condo Commandos allow me ) or renting a cover space.
Thanks
Old 07-31-06, 05:38 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally I was going to say Zaino, however the intercoastal waters thing makes me lean towards collinite 476. Collinite is actually a boat wax; it can last up to 12 months in harsh conditions and it doesn't look bad at all. I apply it to all my client cars before winter.

http://www.colliniteautomotive.com/p....htm#super476s

It is by far the longest lasting commercially available wax.
Old 07-31-06, 06:10 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ditto the Collinite
Old 07-31-06, 06:49 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a different approach.

I'd recommend products that are very easy to use. I'd not worry about if the wax will last six months. You live in a great climate (most of the time). No bitter winter, no snow, no road salt, etc. You should wash and dry your car weekly with a good quality car wash and top quality materials, (wash mitt's water magnet, etc.) Whether you use a carnauba or a polymer sealant, use one that goes on easily and removes easily. The reasoning is that if it doesn't take a great deal of effort you will do it more frequently.

I've been using Meguiar's NXT liquid wax every quarter, after I clay and polish . I follow up with NXT Tech Booster Spray Wax after every other wash. The booster adds only about 20 minutes to my wash time and keeps the car protected and looking like it was freshly detailed. It also keeps the surface so slick that dirt doesn't get a firm grip making the wash easy.

Some like to protect their car in a shell that lasts for a long time. They don't mind the fact that the good looks slowly degrade over the weeks and months that follow. No wax or sealant looks as good after a few weeks of exposure to environmental contaminants then it does when fresh. Sure it might still be protecting but it just doesn't look good or feel smooth either. Waxes and sealants are designed to be a temporary barrier to protect your paint. I like to keep that barrier shiny, slippery and protecting at it's best.

These Meguiar's NXT products are OTC so are readily available but regardless of which products you use find something that works like this system and use it every week or two.
Old 07-31-06, 07:19 AM
ZULU789
Rookie

Thank you guys, So it is Meguiar's NXT and Collinite 476.
Based in the experience wich one will be easier to work with ? (Applying and removing)
Also for jfelbab in your qoute "These Meguiar's NXT products are OTC so are readily available but regardless of which products you use find something that works like this system and use it every week or two.", are you refering at the Tech Booster Spray Wax or at the whole waxing process.
I am asking because i don't have time and conditions to wax the car every 2 weeks or so.
Sorry for the questioning ,newbie here
Old 07-31-06, 08:35 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

NXT would be slightly easier to apply and remove; however the difference is maybe 10 minutes. I understand where jfelbab is going - he is suggesting you use OTC products, seal with NXT every 3 months and then after washes use a booster spray, to extend the life of NXT. This regime will is easy and reliable, however there are two caveats. One, you have to assume that NXT + booster will last 3 months in your climate. Judging by your description of your cars environment (hot, heavy rain, parked outside 100% of the time, close to a body of water) I personally wouldn't count on it. NXT is easy to use and looks nice, but durabilty is not its strong suit.

With Collinite you may put it more work per application, however it'd be one or at most two applications per year and it'll almost definitely withstand your climate.

Either way is fine, just a different approach. Cheers.
Old 07-31-06, 09:04 AM
richbutler
Rookie

Originally Posted by picus
NXT would be slightly easier to apply and remove; however the difference is maybe 10 minutes. I understand where jfelbab is going - he is suggesting you use OTC products, seal with NXT every 3 months and then after washes use a booster spray, to extend the life of NXT. This regime will is easy and reliable, however there are two caveats. One, you have to assume that NXT + booster will last 3 months in your climate. Judging by your description of your cars environment (hot, heavy rain, parked outside 100% of the time, close to a body of water) I personally wouldn't count on it. NXT is easy to use and looks nice, but durabilty is not its strong suit.

With Collinite you may put it more work per application, however it'd be one or at most two applications per year and it'll almost definitely withstand your climate.

Picus,

How about recommending Jeff's W. AJ product for this application? I have had really good success with the transition from Klasse AIO and SG. The AJ Trigger product is a thousand times easier to apply and remove, the shine is great, and durability is also good!
Old 07-31-06, 10:23 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The NXT system has been tested by me in Cape Coral, FL., and it does indeed last three months in that environment. The booster spray actually applies more of the polymer sealant each time you apply it.

Nothing against Collinite but I have personally not been too happy with the performance of carnauba's in the southern states. They tend to evaporate pretty quickly in the summertime heat. But any product will last a couple weeks and that was the thrust of my post. Find something that is really easy to use so that you won't mind using it often. I'm not suggesting a full detail every other week. There are spray carnauba products too that you could use as a booster.

BTW, it's 100° here today. You can fry an egg on the surface of a black car parked in the sun. I'd estimate the paint is around 160°.

Too hot to detail, time for a swim.
Old 07-31-06, 01:40 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by richbutler
Picus,

How about recommending Jeff's W. AJ product for this application? I have had really good success with the transition from Klasse AIO and SG. The AJ Trigger product is a thousand times easier to apply and remove, the shine is great, and durability is also good!
Ya, AJ + AJT would be good in this application. I originally recommended Collinite because despite it being a carnauba, and despite carnaubas generally being less durable than sealants, 476S will last a full year.

Originally Posted by jfelbab

Nothing against Collinite but I have personally not been too happy with the performance of carnauba's in the southern states. They tend to evaporate pretty quickly in the summertime heat. But any product will last a couple weeks and that was the thrust of my post. Find something that is really easy to use so that you won't mind using it often. I'm not suggesting a full detail every other week. There are spray carnauba products too that you could use as a booster.

I understand what you're saying; have you tried 476S in particular? Once the solvents burn out of the wax it is not going to come off in any kind of heat a person could survive. I promise.
Old 07-31-06, 02:05 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richbutler
Picus,

Jeff's Werkstatt's Prime and Acrylic Jet: Trigger are excellent products. They need to be purchased online and when I think of "easily obtainable" items I think OTC.

Duragloss is a system like Jeff's Werkstatt's in that it is a system of a polish and a spray wax, with above average durability. Their products can be found at Carquest and Napa stores. I believe they even offer CL members a discount if you order online.

I'm using NXT as my main sealant right now but may switch to M21 in the near future, or I may fully go to Werkstatt. NXT is more durable than people give it credit for. I've had it outlast a 3 month period of constant rain we once had here in SoCal. It actually lasted for a period of 4 months since I didn't get a chance to wash my car again until after that rainy period. It may have been able to go further than that but I have a habit of always wanting to apply something after I wash my car.

Whatever products you use find a system that is comfortable for you so that you'll continue with it during the lifetime/ownership of your car.
Old 07-31-06, 04:58 PM
ZULU789
Rookie

I saw the NXT products around Advance Auto parts and Walmart. Any ideas about Collinite on any retailers?
I live in South Florida between Dade and Broward Counties or Miami and Fort Lauderdale if you go by cities.
I just can wait to get my hands on any of this products, by the way i just wash my car today using BlueCoraland come up very nice .
Any comments on Blue Coral Car wash?
Old 08-02-06, 02:18 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

+1 to collinite!
Old 08-02-06, 08:09 PM
ZULU789
Rookie

So , does any one know the difference between the Collinite waxes.
I see that the 476s is the "permanent Auto wax" but then i found the Marque D'Elegance #915
that offers the BEST in wax endurance formulated from the highest-ever concentration of pure Carnauba waxes.
Does anyone have experience i other than 476S to compare....
I am planning to go to a marine store and find an automotive wax since auto stores carry marine wax...
Collinite Automotive Waxes
Thank YOu
Old 08-03-06, 12:03 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ZULU789
So , does any one know the difference between the Collinite waxes.
I see that the 476s is the "permanent Auto wax" but then i found the Marque D'Elegance #915
that offers the BEST in wax endurance formulated from the highest-ever concentration of pure Carnauba waxes.
Does anyone have experience i other than 476S to compare....
I am planning to go to a marine store and find an automotive wax since auto stores carry marine wax...
Collinite Automotive Waxes
Thank YOu
http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....=collinite+915

915 is the same as 476S but smells nicer; it's basically a consumer version of 476S, which is more of a commercial wax. It costs more than 476S but should have the same look and durability. You can also read more about the longevity of Collinite waxes in that link.
Old 08-04-06, 12:54 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....=collinite+915

915 is the same as 476S but smells nicer; it's basically a consumer version of 476S, which is more of a commercial wax. It costs more than 476S but should have the same look and durability. You can also read more about the longevity of Collinite waxes in that link.
good read, thanx for posting that