Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze Application Quesiton

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 04:46 PM
bdmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze Application Quesiton

The directions I've seen for applying Klass High Gloss Sealant Glaze say to wait 8-12 hours after application before applying another coat. They also say that for the best results the glaze should be allowed to "set" on your car for at least 8-12 hours for best results. The instructions I'm referencing are here: http://www.autogeek.net/klasse-usa.html

My question is does that mean I should let the glaze set on my car for 8-12 hours before buffing it off? If not, how long should I wait before buffing it off? Maybe it's just me but the directions at that site are a bit confusing...

How long should I wait, ideally, before I buff the glaze off?
Old 08-01-06, 04:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

after you buff the glazing off (once it's dry), you'll want to wait 8-12 hours before you apply another coat.

so when the glaze is dry, buff it off. the 8-12 horus is the time inbetween 2 coats, if you want to apply a second coat.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-01-06, 09:55 PM
bdmac
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I think what confused me was a combination of these statements in the directions mentioned above:

"#2 Apply glaze to the entire vehicle before you wipe off residue. The longer High Gloss Sealant sets, the better."

and

"Tip: Let High Gloss Sealant Glaze set on your vehicle for as long as possible. At least 8 to 12 hours is recommended."

In the first thing it's talking about wiping the glaze off and saying the longer it sets the better and then the tip says let it set as long as possible, 8-12 hours.

Thanks again for clearing that up!

What's a typical drying time before wiping it off?
Old 08-02-06, 05:24 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That methodology (waiting 12-24 hours before you buff the haze) is usable for any polymer sealant. They will vary somewhat in time window from one to the other, but as a general rule those time frames work fine.

In the summer, humidity takes it's toll, requiring more time for the sealant to air cure, so better a bit longer than shorter.

You're right about them being a bit ambiguous though, if you didn't know, many people would be confused by the labeling directions. Best of luck.
Old 08-02-06, 08:47 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

A useful method for determining when a polymer sealant can be removed is the "swipe test". After applying and waiting a prescribed time (generally 30 minutes to an hour) gently draw your clean and dry finger over the sealant and if it removes clean with no streaking or smearing it can safely be buffed off. If not, let it set longer.

This is different from the cross-linking (setting-up, curing or hardening) of the polymers. Polymers take quite some time to cure. A general rule of thumb is, for the best results, 12-24 hours are needed to insure curing has occurred. During this time the surface should be kept absolutely dry. No washing, no rain, no second coat, no quick detailer, etc. Many will notice that the paint will look even shinier, (more reflective) the day after they apply a polymer sealant. This is due the the product having cured. Think of polymer sealants like paint. Paint dries to the touch (skins) fairly quickly and yet it takes hours for it to fully cure.

Most polymer sealants benefit from a second coat after 12-24 hours. Usually, but not always, this results in a more uniform surface, greater reflectivity and possibly even slightly longer protection. Some even apply a pure carnauba wax over the sealant after the 12-24 hour curing period. All depends on the look you prefer. Typically carnauba wax slightly darkens the look of the paint, usually yielding a deeper glow to the paint as opposed to the sterile, highly reflective shine left by a polymer sealant. It all depends on what you like and how car crazy you are.
Old 08-02-06, 08:49 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used the Klasse twins for several years on 3 vehicles. I agree that you should wait at least overnight before applying a 2nd coat. I usually apply a 2nd coat in the morning after letting the first coat cure overnight. If you can't let it sit overnight in a garage I would just wait until the next time you wash the car and then reapply (be sure to not top SG with anything else until you are through layering or it may not bond properly). After 2 or 3 layers you should be good to go for anywhere from 6-12 months. My wifes car is garaged at night and at her office and 2 layers would last her 12 months (with probably 25-30 washes) and still look phenomenal.

The most important thing is to apply SG in as thin a layer as possible.... and then try to do it even thinner. If you can see it on the car surface then I guarantee it is on too thick and will be more difficult to remove and "may" cause streaking on darker colors. I HIGHLY recommend the WOWO method. Wipe on and then immediately wipe off ...... one panel at a time. I assure you this does not diminish either the look or the durability.
Old 08-02-06, 09:42 PM
bdmac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Guitarman
That methodology (waiting 12-24 hours before you buff the haze) is usable for any polymer sealant.
OK, now I'm still confused as what you're saying (wait 12+ hours to buff the haze) seems to be contradicting what the others are saying (wait till dry to buff the haze and then 12+ hours for 2nd coat).

Clarification please?
Old 08-02-06, 10:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You can buff the glaze once its dried up, but you'll want to wait another 12 horus at least for a second coating, so that way, the first layer has enough time to cure.

I know, all these terminologies got everyone confused

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-02-06, 11:22 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

1) Apply SG.
2) Wait about 20-30 minutes for it to dry.
3) Buff off.
4) Wait about 12-24 hours for it to cure.
5) Apply SG.
6) Wait about 20-230 minutes for it to dry.
7) Buff off.
(Repeat for 3rd layer if necessary)

Definitions:
1) Dry: Letting the Klasse SG dry onto your paint, requires buffing off. Also known as "Glaze".
2) Cure: The process where SG hardens onto your paint. Usually requires 12-24 hours.

More info:
http://autopia-carcare.com/klasse-car-wax-guide.html

I know, it was a tad confusing for my first time with Klasse as well.
Old 08-03-06, 05:33 PM
nhidog
Driver School Candidate

Would it be a problem to let the car cure outdoor? My garage is currently being occupied by junk. Lots of it, many of it not mine
Old 08-03-06, 05:41 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by nhidog
Would it be a problem to let the car cure outdoor? My garage is currently being occupied by junk. Lots of it, many of it not mine
Best to apply and remove in the shade on a cool finish. Also keep in mind that the surface should not get wet for 12-24 hours after application.
Old 08-03-06, 08:45 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Not a big problem, but try to see if you can have it parked in shade or a car cover over it. Don't park it near trees or anything that can drop tree sap on it and stuff.

After parking it outside for a day, you might want to use Quik Detailer on the whole car to make sure there's no dust or any other residue.