Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help w/ Replacing Badging

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 11:18 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/ Replacing Badging

This is the best place that I felt this topic fit, mods, if you disagree, please move.

I am getting ready to get black badging for the GS and wanted to know the best way to get the old ones off? Can anyone help, I know this will be an easy one.

Also, I would assume that the adhesive on the new set will be just fine, assuming. I would figure that I would need to clean the area well before fixing them in place.

By the way, it will be black badging on a silver car with a chrome grill and a black "L" on the front, I think its gonna look insane. I had to say that for some reason.
Old 08-06-06, 05:11 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

This is how I replaced mine.

Need the following items:

- two pencil or wood sticks
- dental floss
- WD-40
- Isopropryl alcohol
- cloth
- painter's blue masking tape

1) Wash the area where the badges area
2) Use the painter's blue masking tape to outline the existing badge locations. This will help when you align the new badges.
3) Get a couple of feet of dental floss. At each end of the floss roll the ends around the each pencil. This will hold the floss.
4) Hold one pencil at each hand with the floss between the two pencils. Make sure the floss distance between the two pencils are at least 1 feet.
5) Start at one end of the badge. Make sure to align the floss flat against the car body. With a back and forth sawing action start cutting behind the double s€ided foam tape of existing badges. The floss will break often. Just repeat the process. Be patient and don't rush or apply to much pressure. To avoid breaking the badges be sure the floss is flat against the body when you do the sawing action.
6) After removing the badges there will be some residue left on the car body.
7) Lightly spray some WD-40 directly on the adhesive on the car body. Wipe of any drips. Wait a few minutes
8) Spray some WD-40 on a cloth towel and start rubbing off the adhesive and foam tapes from the car body. I found that wrapping a cloth around my finger and spray WD-40 at the tip works best. Using a small rubbing or scratching action to remove the residues from the car body. Be patient as this takes time. Don't rush. Make sure the cloth you use is clean from dirt. You don't want it to scratch your car finish. Once in awhile it helps to lightly spray some WD-40 on the residues on the car and towel to help melt it. I find it help to use you finger nail to light scratch the residue off.
9) After all the residues are cleaned use the isopropyl alcohol to remove the WD-40. You can also wash it with soap and water. But if you do be sure to wipe the area with isopropyl alcohol before you put on the new badges on the car.
10) Now place the new badges onto the car using the masking tape you had placed earlier to help you align them.

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 08-06-06 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-06-06, 10:58 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's a thread I created in which I de-badged my ES. Pics are included.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006/92650-debadging-project.html
Old 08-06-06, 12:57 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great, thanks for the advice, looks like I have my next project planned!
Old 08-14-06, 02:55 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChuH
- dental floss
fishing line works better because it's tensil strength is greater
Old 08-14-06, 03:21 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
fishing line works better because it's tensil strength is greater
Yeah use fishing line. It works much better than dental floss. Take your time and get all the old glue off before you put the new badges on.
Old 08-15-06, 08:27 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuH
4) Hold one pencil at each hand with the floss between the two pencils. Make sure the floss distance between the two pencils are at least 1 feet.
5) Start at one end of the badge. Make sure to align the floss flat against the car body. With a back and forth sawing action start cutting behind the double s€ided foam tape of existing badges.
Just a thought. Spraying WD-40 between step #4 & #5 and letting it soak in for an hour will make your job much easier.
Old 08-16-06, 09:33 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

After you get the glue off I would be sure to polish and wax/seal the paint, wait 24 hours, and then apply the new badging. The solvents in the WD40 or whatever you use to remove the glue will also remove any wax or sealant.