Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Porter Cable polish recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 07:19 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porter Cable polish recommendations

I have read a lot of threads and gotten a huge list of preferred products. I have a birthday coming up and I am going to get the PC 7424. A couple questions.

There is a deal for the polisher, backing plate and two orange and two gray lake country pads on ebay for $180 shipped. I already have the Klasse twins and will probably use those. I fear that the AIO is not going to get the swirls and other blemishes out.
Could I go with the Meguiars #83 before the AIO and finish with the SG from Klasse?
Am I better getting the PC standalone and buying pads a la carte? The equivalent 7336 I think is available at my local Lowes for $109 I think.
A few pad recommendations would be helpful too. There are the Sonus pads on the autopia.org site.
It seems that the how-to on that site is pretty straight forward. Anyone use that as their first step and care to comment?

FYI I have a Black Onyx 01 GS430 and I live in Virginia but I'm moving to Colorado, if that changes any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 08-09-06, 05:42 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd go with the Lowes deal for $109 and mail order the pads. You might try the AIO first but I'd get some Meguiar's #83 and #80. Yes you can go with the #83 / AIO / SG. LC pads are fine but I prefer the Meguiar's polishing and finishing pads. They sell a kit of two polishing pads and one finishing pads for around $25 last I ordered. You probably need a velcro backing plate as well. Nothing about your location should alter these product recommendations.

Originally Posted by STONER
I have read a lot of threads and gotten a huge list of preferred products. I have a birthday coming up and I am going to get the PC 7424. A couple questions.

There is a deal for the polisher, backing plate and two orange and two gray lake country pads on ebay for $180 shipped. I already have the Klasse twins and will probably use those. I fear that the AIO is not going to get the swirls and other blemishes out.
Could I go with the Meguiars #83 before the AIO and finish with the SG from Klasse?
Am I better getting the PC standalone and buying pads a la carte? The equivalent 7336 I think is available at my local Lowes for $109 I think.
A few pad recommendations would be helpful too. There are the Sonus pads on the autopia.org site.
It seems that the how-to on that site is pretty straight forward. Anyone use that as their first step and care to comment?

FYI I have a Black Onyx 01 GS430 and I live in Virginia but I'm moving to Colorado, if that changes any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 08-09-06, 05:59 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I'll post pictures of my results and probably be thanking you again.
Old 08-10-06, 11:13 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

I've read that the Klasse AIO is basically filling the scratches as opposed to smoothing them. If I use the Meguiars #83 and that leaves micro marring, should I use a stronger finishing polish than AIO?
Old 08-10-06, 03:59 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a good place to buy porter cable 7424? Any better deal?
Link
Old 08-10-06, 11:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RayGS3
Is this a good place to buy porter cable 7424? Any better deal?
Link
$119 is a bit too much for a PC, then again, even lowes sells it for $139 now. I guess I was fortunate to buy the PC at lowes when they had it at a "normal" price for $99.

If anything, this deal is pretty good:
http://autogeek.net/hk7424.html

Just use the promotional code "AGO" to get free shipping (orders over $75).

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-10-06, 11:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've read that the Klasse AIO is basically filling the scratches as opposed to smoothing them. If I use the Meguiars #83 and that leaves micro marring, should I use a stronger finishing polish than AIO?
In most cases, you'll be able to finish your paint down without leaving mirco marring by following the cutting pad with a polishing pad. Using an aggressive pad by itself to do all the work wont reduce mircro marring, and certainly a stronger polish will not help as you're taking a step away from your goal (potentially leave even more marring). Most of the time, anyone will be able to finish down without leaving any swirls and such.

#83 is perfectly fine for most paint surfaces, unless it's so horrible. Remember that PC will be a bit slow at removing imperfection, such as swirls, so dont be fusterated if you find yourself working in the same area for awhile.

I had to do a car today and it was heavily oxidized and swirled up. The PC with #83 didn't do anything to the oxidation (this is heavy heavy oxidation). I had to whip out my rotary with some 3M swirl remover just to do the job.

I dont know why you would want to use AIO after an application of #83. The #83 is essentially the same thing (cleaner and polish) that I find to work better if you really want to get rid of swirls. I was about to do the exact same thing to my car (search for my thread in the GS section), but there would be no benefit for me, and I too have a black onyx car.

Just take your time and it'll be fine.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-11-06, 05:39 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

He would need to use the AIO after the #83 if he plans to use the SG since SG will not bond to #83. Also, #83 sometimes needs a milder polish afterwards - especially on black.
Old 08-11-06, 09:42 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
He would need to use the AIO after the #83 if he plans to use the SG since SG will not bond to #83. Also, #83 sometimes needs a milder polish afterwards - especially on black.
That's what I was thinking. I'm going to try the AIO and SG alone and if I don't get the results I'm after, I'll go back and do the #83 first.
Old 08-11-06, 03:18 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

That's what I was thinking. I'm going to try the AIO and SG alone and if I don't get the results I'm after, I'll go back and do the #83 first.
Correct approach. Always try the least aggressive products that will get the job done and only step up to more aggressive products when needed.
Old 08-14-06, 05:43 AM
Oceanedge
Driver School Candidate

I've noticed that many online merchants are including a 5" backing plate with 6.5" pads...It seems that these pads would be much more stable and better adhered if they were used in conjuction with a 6" backing plate...Wouldn't they?
Old 09-06-06, 12:14 PM
jjwalker
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I bought. http://www.detailersparadise.com/Vie...071-2491365464
Old 09-06-06, 12:46 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Another good polish I like on black and applied using my PC is Poorboys SSR2.5

I've followed it up with the Klasse twins and Zaino PC/Z2/Z5 with very good results.