Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

HELP !! Wax on New Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-01, 07:47 PM
duster
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP !! Wax on New Paint

I just read on another thread how it is important to let new paint harden for several weeks before putting on wax.

The dealer painted the nose, bumper, and a small section of the front quarter panel of my car about a week ago and then sent it out for a full detail (including wax) three days later.

So now that the wax has been on 4 days ... WHAT DO I DO? One thought is to take the wax off with a gentle washing with dawn but that seems like it may be harsh on the uncured paint too.

Man...I should've known better about the wax. If I don't do anything, what should I look out for and how long might it take for problems to develop.

BTW, the shop did a great job dealing with a few decent rock chips. One of them actually dented the hood a little. The paint match on my '98 silver looks good too.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-08-01, 06:10 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using the Dawn would probably be the easiest way to remove the wax. I don't think it would hurt the paint, but you might call a paint and body place, tell them what happened and ask what they recommend.
Old 10-09-01, 08:21 PM
duster
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Eric,

I spoke to the shop and they said it was not a problem as long as the wax was carnuba and not a polymer. He said the carnuba would breathe enough to let the paint dry.
Old 10-10-01, 05:22 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, that's good info to know!