Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Advice re: leather problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-06, 10:46 AM
raysay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice re: leather problem

Gents, new member here, so I'm not house broken. Just purchased an '01 LS and the front seats are flaking near the edges. Went to a local auto leather shop, who told me the previous owner likely had the seats "sprayed" with a lacquer based spray to cover up wear marks. The proposed solution ($450) is to strip the offending seats and "dye" with a water based product, thus returning the offending seats to NEW. I'm skeptical this is the best way to proceed. My leather is very light (ecru?), heated only. Am I being poorly advised, or is this the way to go. Good karma for all those who offer advice!
Old 08-14-06, 05:03 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get some type of warranty if you go that route though, to protect against flaking and peeling etc. It can be done, but prep is critical.

The only other option is to get new matched leather covers from

http://www.leatherseats.com/

The latter is a sure thing, the former option will depend on the ability and warranty on the re-dye process. Best of luck.
Old 08-14-06, 08:13 AM
raysay
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Guitarman. So properly done, this type of water based dye seems to work out well is what I'm hearing. I'll check out the thread. Cheers
Old 08-14-06, 11:57 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=raysay;2063843The proposed solution ($450)[/QUOTE]For that amount of money you're better off just getting new front leather covers from leatherseats.com, if you want to do it right
Old 08-14-06, 01:20 PM
raysay
Driver School Candidate

Cool

I checked out their website and couldn't find LS 430 info. Also, I wonder who supplies Lexus with their leather? That might be the best way to g o if I am going the replacement route
Old 08-14-06, 01:28 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raysay
I checked out their website and couldn't find LS 430 info. Also, I wonder who supplies Lexus with their leather? That might be the best way to g o if I am going the replacement route
You can actually buy leather hides from leatherseats.com as well, that might work for you since they didn't currently have a set for an '01 LS.
Old 08-24-06, 12:19 PM
raysay
Driver School Candidate

Default Die job completed

Had the front seats and arm rest done by a local guy for $250. The die blended perfectly with the balalnce of the interior and looks and feels great. Now lets ee what the durability is