Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 03:50 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Leather Repair

Oh boy.. I really goofed up bad. When installing my leatherseats kit in my LS, I put the headrest holes in the wrong place on the driver's seat..

So now I have two holes on the back of my drivers seat in my leather. I installed the passenger seat first and it went fine, but there was a slight gap in the leather where the seat bottom and seat back met.. so on the driver's seat, I decided to install the back a little differently. I did a test fit, and I was able to stretch the leather and make it fit.. but when I put the hog rings in, and then kept trying to stretch it.. it didn't work, and I had already cut the holes for the headrest.. so I had to take the seat out again, redoit, and this time.. the headrest holes did not match up at all..

Anybody have experience with those leather repair kits? They give you some type of bondo looking stuff that you smear into the cracks and then you paint over it...
Old 08-22-06, 05:56 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest you avoid those DIY vinyl/ leather repair kits, they don't work very well at all, better to use a professional that does similar repairs. Most dealerships know a guy that does that.

Or..you could try to disguise them somehow...maybe get an embroidered "Lexus" badge made and glue over the holes on both seats? I can kind of picture it, but it'd be subjective whether or not you'd like that on the back sides of the seats.

Outside of a pro repair, or the latter suggestion, I'm stumped for you. Best of luck.