Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: How often do you use a car cover?
Never
59.76%
Hardly Ever
9.76%
Frequently
17.07%
Everyday
13.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use a Car Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-07, 06:07 AM
darchard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never cover my GS and reconsidering this.
Old 08-01-07, 08:33 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by darchard
Never cover my GS and reconsidering this.
You should ,I cover mine at work and my 96 LS looks great because of it.
Attached Thumbnails Do you use a Car Cover?-new_pics_012.jpg  
Old 08-01-07, 09:14 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a OEM Lexus car cover. Tremedous car cover, fits perfectly since it was made to exact fit every inch..It also has very durable material, keeps the car very cool and clean..On top of it, it leaves NO DUST underneath the car...Top notch stuff..
Old 08-02-07, 07:56 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont own a car cover and never have, however if my cars werent covered in garages all the time and were exposed to the sun a lot I would probably own one.
Old 08-02-07, 11:38 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Never. What's the point of keeping such a nice looking car hidden? It's like how some people like to keep the plastics on their new cell phones or a bra on their car. You're hiding what's meant to be exposed in the first place. If it dulls, it dulls. Can't do anything about it. I drive it to death and that's it.
Old 08-04-07, 11:30 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

my car cover is a garage...lol. never use car cover... i think you'd be more likely to scratch the paint when you put it on...my 2 cents
Old 08-04-07, 11:36 AM
Stokdgs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ive used car covers since the early 70's and would never

give them up. Once you know the technique, its a breeze, but you hope you dont have a breeze when you are putting it on or taking it off. You would want one more in sunny areas, to help keep the heat out of the car. Here is the trick:
Take it off the ends of the car, and take the sides of of it, and fold them toward the centerline of the car.
Do the other end of the car and fold those sides toward the center.
Go to the back of the car, and start rolling the cover up into a small package
When all rolled up, put it in the trunk
When you go to install it again, place the cover on the front of the car in the center,(on the hood) and roll it back to the end of the car.
Pull the sides down front and back, and tuck them under the body work.
If its a good fitting cover, it will be tight all around the car.
You may need different materials for your particular area.
I dont care for the real heavy Noah" type covers, They are just too thick and are hard to cut and make a smooth finish on your car.
The newer poly/cotton, etc., fabrics work better and do help repel rain, and certainly keep the dirt off the car all the time they are on.
If you dont have a big enough washer to wash it occasionally, I have had good luck washing it on the car, carefully, rinsing the heck out of it over and under, and letting it dry on the car. This works best in sunny areas.
The best fitting covers used to be made by Bevery Hills Motoring, but the went out of business long ago, and I believe the patterns were bought by California Car Cover (calcover.com I think), and they have many different materials and now even alot of colors for them.
If you value not having to wash your car alot, keeping the interior from fading due to the sun, etc., then a cover or garage or covered parking are the alternatives, but the cover will always do the best because it keeps all the dust and crap flying around, off the paint.
In good weather , you can go weeks, etc.. without having to do anything to the car cause the cover keeps it protected.
So the question, is how much do you value your time and the extra steps involved in keeping your pride and joy perfect?

Good luck with your decision, having lived in California almost all my adult years, its just what you do there to keep your car looking good all the time.
DanF

Last edited by Stokdgs; 08-04-07 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Misspelled a word
Old 08-06-07, 05:19 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Whenever feasible, practical, if I am given the chance to cover the car, I will. It will involve a car cover that is easy to put on-take off. And does not scratch the car. UV protection is your best defense for dulling of your interior.
Old 09-04-07, 12:38 AM
Armand
Driver

just bought the satin stretch cover from covercraft and it works great, really hugs the car and folds up into a small bundle. I only use it for the 2-3 days after I wash it so it stays clean through the weekend, sunday night the cover stays off until Thurs night after she gets her bath.

I also have one of those multi layer grey covers which fits nicely but it's a pain in the a$$ to put on because it's so bulky and rolls up into a fat roll taking up too much space. also, it's not very soft so i feel it scratches the paint as i drag it across to "button" down the edges so I can stretch it over the car. The coverking cover has a nice flannel lining inside and it's kind of like lycra so it easily stretches over the car and snaps into place.
Old 09-04-07, 09:23 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I used to use a car cover before I had a garage. I liked it most when it rained I could just carefully remove the cover and not have to worry about cleaning the car. Now it is garaged all the time at home, and we have a parking garage at work so she only sees the sun on the weekends and to and from work. I would definately use a car cover if I didnt have my garage though
Old 07-08-08, 10:40 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

no point if u have a garage and regularly drive it...
Old 07-10-08, 11:08 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just received my Noah Covercraft with bag, lock, and key today. I'll let you know how it goes!