Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Advice on topping off NXT wax!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 10:26 PM
RX_brain
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on topping off NXT wax!

Hi fellas. For you guys who use NXT, do you put something on top of NXT wax? What product do you guys use? Thanks for the info.
Old 08-29-06, 11:34 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally prefer NXT X2 as an LSP by itself; no topper needed. If you have a darker colored car then you might want to try a carnauba like Souveran or Natty's Blue for a warmer glow. I found that topping NXT only softened the reflections which is not the look I wanted for my silver IS. If you decide to top NXT be sure to allow a cure time of 12-24 hours before applying another product over it.
Old 08-30-06, 08:50 AM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Why not put something before NXT? I'm planning to do Klasse AIO with one or two layers of Klasse SG then putting NXT last for my winter setup.
Old 08-30-06, 12:19 PM
RX_brain
Rookie

From my understanding, NXT is not a true LSP because it has cleaners. Plus, people complain about it's durability. I like the shine, and I am looking for something to put on top to extend durability a bit.
Old 08-30-06, 12:44 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_brain
From my understanding, NXT is not a true LSP because it has cleaners. Plus, people complain about it's durability. I like the shine, and I am looking for something to put on top to extend durability a bit.
LSP stands for "Last Step Product," the last product you apply before the final buff and walking away. NXT is very much a true LSP. The mild cleaners in NXT are there to prep the surface so that it bonds better to the surface. It is not a cleaner wax.

Yes, there are a few people who do complain about durability with NXT. Why not see how it performs for you in your climate before questioning its durability? Use you personal experience to determine whether it is durable enough for your usage not someone's comment on a message board. I've had NXT last through an entire rainy season out here in SoCal. Plenty durable for me and many users have experienced good durability as well. There is also a booster spray wax which can be used to maintain the finish after washes and in between full wax applications.
Old 08-30-06, 06:04 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My durability experience with NXT. Here is a photo of my RX330 after a shower. NXT had been applied 68 days prior to this photo and it still was beading profusely. Besides the beading the surface remained slick and the shine was still apparent. I continued with this test for 92 days before deciding to detail the car for winter. I find NXT to be quite durable if you prep the paint properly before application. YMMV.

For winter protection, I apply two coats of NXT, 24 hours apart and after another 24 hours I hand apply a thin coat of Meguiar's #16 Professional Paste Wax, a pure carnauba. This combo holds up to the road salt and winter grime very well.
Old 09-02-06, 08:09 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_brain
Hi fellas. For you guys who use NXT, do you put something on top of NXT wax? What product do you guys use? Thanks for the info.
If you want do make you paint really pop use Adam's Brilliant Spray Glaze, it will take you to the next level !
Old 09-02-06, 10:50 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab
My durability experience with NXT. Here is a photo of my RX330 after a shower. NXT had been applied 68 days prior to this photo and it still was beading profusely. Besides the beading the surface remained slick and the shine was still apparent. I continued with this test for 92 days before deciding to detail the car for winter. I find NXT to be quite durable if you prep the paint properly before application. YMMV.

For winter protection, I apply two coats of NXT, 24 hours apart and after another 24 hours I hand apply a thin coat of Meguiar's #16 Professional Paste Wax, a pure carnauba. This combo holds up to the road salt and winter grime very well.

Just curious....when you wait the 24 hours to apply the second coat of NXT, do you rewash the car before you apply? if you don't rewash, has the car been driven or do you just make sure to leave the car in the garage until your 2nd coat of NXT. Thanks.
Old 09-02-06, 11:13 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PineGreen
Just curious....when you wait the 24 hours to apply the second coat of NXT, do you rewash the car before you apply? if you don't rewash, has the car been driven or do you just make sure to leave the car in the garage until your 2nd coat of NXT. Thanks.
i think you need to wash before the 2nd coat to get all the dirt off .
Old 09-02-06, 11:57 PM
JoesIS250
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexkost
If you want do make you paint really pop use Adam's Brilliant Spray Glaze, it will take you to the next level !
i have to agree. i bought a bottle mid summer and didnt think itd make tht much of a difference since i maintain my paint well but wow it did add that extra "pop" especially on my blue onyx color
Old 09-03-06, 05:03 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PineGreen
I used a Quick Detailer to remove any dust and applied the second coat of NXT. The car was not driven and was only slightly dusty.