Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing Questions - Plastic Body Parts, Masking Trim, Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 08:49 PM
woodgrain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detailing Questions - Plastic Body Parts, Masking Trim, Emblems

Hello all -

Ok - I've heavily edited this post because maybe my long-winded-ness is keeping people from helping me out??? Sorry I tend to type too much!

Condensed version:

1. Do you use cleaner/polish/wax on the color matched plastic parts on your car? (bumper, door guards, etc)

2. Do you mask emblems and trim even when working by hand?

3. How about pinstriping (factory) - do you use cleaner/polish/wax all overtop the stripe?

Any other things to watch out before I jump right in? Thanks much in advance!!

jt

Last edited by woodgrain; 09-06-06 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Noone responded. Post too long?
Old 09-06-06, 05:56 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Do you use cleaner/polish/wax on the color matched plastic parts on your car? (bumper, door guards, etc)

2. Do you mask emblems and trim even when working by hand?

3. How about pinstriping (factory) - do you use cleaner/polish/wax all overtop the stripe?
1. There are plastic protectants that are made by several companies. Meguiars is one of them.

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer%20(Meguiar's%20Brand)%3ECar%20Interior%20Care%3EVinyl/Rubber/Plastic%20Protectants&sectionID=12101

2. If your a messy person then I would mask the emblems, it takes more work to mask an emblem than to use a q tip if you do get it on the edges.. I would be more worried about the rubber moldings on the edges/gaps if your using a heavy duty polisher..

3. Most pinstriping are strong and does not fade or rub off even when you run a heavy duty buffer during the polishing process. Although the polish tend to get in the edges and can be very hard to remove..
Old 09-06-06, 09:52 PM
woodgrain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. On the first question, I was actually refering to exterior plastic body components that are painted w/ the main paint color of the car - front and rear bumper, body moldings, etc. - would you use plastic protectant on these painted items?

I found one reference on the Meguiars site that says to use traditional cleaner/polish/wax approach on these parts, although an article at autopia suggested that they may use a different paint formulation that doesn't take cleaner/polishing as well - just curious whether other lexus owners clean/polish/wax these parts...

Sounds like on the pinstriping and emblems I'll just work around them by hand. I might mask off a few easy areas like around windows just in case.

Thanks again!
jt