Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino 1st Time Application - Summary

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-01, 06:08 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Zaino 1st Time Application - Summary

~80* both days / done in garage

Pros
great results; not earth shattering, but great / easy on, easy off, but put on thin coats

Cons
large time investment; should really be done in garage or similar enclosure

Details
strip was with Dove DW soap
2 coats of z5, one left on overnight
1 coat of z2

I could have done more coats of each, but I wanted to spend a little of my weekend doing other things.

I'll use the rest of my products, but not sure I'll do the Zaino thing again. Surely there are other products that can deliver the deep, wet shine and not take all weekend with multiple coats to acheive it, esp for the $ involved.

I place a premium on results, but it must be balanced with the time involved, esp when it's MY time . I'd rather spend a couple of hours every couple of months that have to schedule a full weekend of car detailing and do so less frequently.

HTH, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Old 10-15-01, 08:31 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dexter, may I suggest trying to add a couple more layers of Z2. I understand its time consuming, but there is no words to express how important it is to add 2-3 more layers and then you TRULY see what everyone on here is raving about.
Old 10-15-01, 09:07 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hell, I raved after one layer of Z2, still do and it's been 5 months!! I'd have to say Zaino is extremely time efficient. I've never had ANYthing last this long, including some of the old silicon-polymer waxes I used to use back in the 80s.
Old 10-15-01, 09:46 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Maybe the durability will factor into my satisfaction on down the road. But for the $, I don't think that you shoud have to put on layer after layer after layer to get a great finish. I know, I know, I can't have my cake.....but if you do the higher number of multiple layers, you're not spending, obvioulsy its going to cost even more with the additional bottles.

Don't get me wrong, I am pleased with the results, I'll just have to wait and see if they hold up, and from the comments and research I've conducted here, I shouldn't be disappointed.

Answer me this: say I want to continue more layers in a couple of weeks - would I need to start with the Z1 again on top of the Z2, or could I just start with Z5 on a freshly washed car, then do the multiples back and forth between Z2 and Z5?

TIA
Old 10-15-01, 10:24 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Here's an email I just received from Sal - he answered in like 5 minutes!

*denotes his answer*

I just got done with my first even Zaino application this weekend - great results, just not enough time to add all the coats I wanted.

Z1 / Z5 / Z5 /Z2

My question: if I want to add additional layers, say within the next few weeks, could I start the process over by adding the Z1

*Z-1 is to be applied twice a year on an everyday car and once a year on a show car. Also, please reapply Z-1 after every ten coats of Zaino polish(Z-2 Or Z-5 or both). Z-1 will never remove Zaino. It will tighten up and strengthen the polish system and increase the gloss.*

onto the last coat of Z2, then back to Z5, then Z2, etc, OR, would it be fine just to start back with Z5 after a freshly washed car and continue to add from there?

*Correct....*

Old 10-15-01, 06:18 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Claybar Warning

Dex & Guyz - Sal also said that a light use of the Z-18 Claybar won't remove his product but multiple useage or heavy pressure with the bar will require reapplication of the Z-1/Z-5/Z-2 so just keep this in mind when using clay.
Dex - I know what U mean about the multiple coats but even Griot's & Meguiars recommend at least 2 coats of their final waxes to yield a deeper shine. I'd been a diehard Meguiars man before being turned on the Zaino by the Members here. Believe me, multiple coats of Zaino R ALOT easier to apply/remove than multi-coats of either Meguiars or Griots ( Best of Show wax ). An old detailer's trick is somewhat contradictory to what Sal recommneds about the direction in which U apply his products ( front to back on top surfaces versus up & down on the sides ) but worth trying. Apply/remove the first coat in either direction & then each subsequent coat 90 degrees from the previous one - yields a cross-hatch effect which helps ensure total coverage. I've tried it on my black GS & it MIGHT seem to bring out a little more gloss but, in truth, I haven't been able to see a difference on my hood no matter which direction I Zaino it.
Old 10-16-01, 04:37 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Claybar Warning

Originally posted by Mean Gene
An old detailer's trick is somewhat contradictory to what Sal recommneds about the direction in which U apply his products -front to back on top surfaces versus up & down on the sides <snip>
I went side to side on all panels I think....

Interesting, good tip on the 'cross work'

Another tip/process I've heard and read, is to never do the circular motion applicatin or removal. If you would have an impurity on the applicator, you would create a scratch that would be visible from all angles - but if you use the linear method, the scratch would only be visible for 90* angles.
Old 10-16-01, 12:57 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Dex, as I said before, only one coat on both my vehicles and even my wife could tell a difference (need I mention that she is not particularly a gearhead?)!!

And I, too, think it's the easiest stuff I've ever put on and taken off.

"That's 2 snaps up....."

Last edited by mooretorque; 10-16-01 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-16-01, 07:03 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Default MT's Comment

Dex - To build on what MT said, even MY wife ( anti-gearhead that she is!:eek: ) could tell the difference between a finishing coat of Z-3 versus Z-5. This reinforces what Sal says about the Z-2/3 having higher optical properties. Personally, I didn't see a whole lot of difference between the shine ( did half my hood with Z-5 & the other with Z-3 - 2 coats of each with Z-6 before & after each application ) but both my wife & 21 year old son were in agreement that the Z-3 side was glossier. It was a double blind test as neither of them had seen which side I'd used the products on. And yes, I wrote down the sides/application in case of another senior moment!!
Old 10-16-01, 10:51 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Default Re: Zaino 1st Time Application - Summary

Originally posted by Dexter

Details
strip was with Dove DW soap
2 coats of z5, one left on overnight
1 coat of z2

[/B]
I'm not sure but shouldn't you have put a coat of Z1 before putting on the Z2 or Z5?
Old 10-17-01, 04:36 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Zaino 1st Time Application - Summary

Originally posted by RodF

I'm not sure but shouldn't you have put a coat of Z1 before putting on the Z2 or Z5?
Yep, did that too - forgot to communicate that.
Old 11-03-01, 07:20 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Hi guys, question about zaino.
I have black sc400. couple of weeks ago, I've done Z1/Z7/Z2/Z5/Z6 everything. and i thought it was working good, very good.
and I notice the after drops of rain, rain spot remains on the body. it's like dust stain, rain stain whatever call and it is very visible and ugly. Does it happen to you at all? just one day of rain makes my car so dirty.
I wasn't sure if it is caused by Zaino that I did.
however If I hose the water, the cleaness would come back.

and another question, when I use Z7, does it take out all previous Z2/Z5 that I did? so I need to add Z2/Z5 again? just wanna make sure if I'm doing right precedure

thanks guys
Old 11-03-01, 10:53 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Product Order?

Taka - Hope that's a typo that U used the Z-7 AFTER the Z-1? In any case, Z-7 won't remove the other Zaino products - generally only an alkaline detergent like Dawn or heavy claybar usage will remove it ( of course, over time it will diminish ). Those of us with the GS know all about water/rain puddling in the windshield washer nozzle area ( flat area ). If it just hoses off, then U had some dirt/dust on the car & that's the spotting. Could also be hard water/acid rain - if the spots are more stubborn but remove with an application of vinegar/water, that's hard water stains caused by the mineral content of the water. Just kind of a burden of the Zaino making the water bead up so well! Consider keeping an extra bottle of Z-6 & a soft towel in your trunk in case of bird attacks or brief rains. Might even consider some of the Griot's "Speed Shine" pre-moistened wipes. http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1001&SKU=11172
Old 11-03-01, 07:36 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

hey Mean Gene, yea it was typo , i meant clay bar, Z1 etc..i think i did right order.
anyway, I think some dirt/dust on the car & that's the spotting. when I glide my finger across the surface, layer of dust comes off and shinny surface appear.
another question for Z6, it seems to me that Z6 attracts all the dust/dirt, i thought it's supported to be anti-statics. what happened was after I sprayed Z6, I could see the layer of dust on my car next day . and when it rained, water drop/spot dried out and all the dirt/dust condensed at the water drop/spot.
I dont care much about it because I could just wash with water and it becomes clean again. but super clean turns to be super dirty :P (but they both attract ppl's eye).

How important is Z2? I think I was lazy and I left with Z5. (supposed to end with Z2 right?).
and Does it matter if I use Z2 on 93 sc400 black? I heard from somebody lexus black is not clear coated so Z3 is prefered.

one more thing (sorry :P), when you spray Z6, do u spray directly on the car or, spray Z6 on soft cloth and use on the car.

thanks
Old 11-04-01, 09:08 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

ALWAYS end in Z2, thats the bread and butter right there !

Quick Reply: Zaino 1st Time Application - Summary