Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How/What to use to fill small hole on body?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 03:21 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How/What to use to fill small hole on body?

Just took the emblems off my car without knowing there's a small hole behind the letter...
I broke the emblems in the process so I can't put it back on...
I'm thinking about filling the holes and touch it up with touch up paint.

Just wondering if there's a better way to accomplish this? and, what product can I use to fill the holes with?
Old 09-09-06, 06:45 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Choices...The "right" way:

*Filling it to look completely invisible will involve sanding down the periphery of the outside of the hole, meaning the area will have to be disturbed beyond the hole itself. Then using body filler to fill it in, sand it, and finished with some body glaze, that sanded, primed and the WHOLE panel painted unless you have a body ridge or line to tape off to delineate it. The idea is to fill the repair area slightly higher than flush with the hole, then taper the repair down and feather it into the surrounding paint.

Yeah- a LOT of work and expense.

*Now, if you don't mind seeing the outline of the hole when it's finished, you can tape the outside of the hole (apply some masking tape OVER the hole and punch the hole out in the tape) and apply some filler or even some JB Weld, allow it to dry, build it up flush again with some more if becessary, then remove the tape, use a sanding pencil to scuff the filler, and primer/ paint it with a touch up brush.

*Even easier, find a plastic plug that fits the hole and paint it to match.

Not as aesthetically pleasing as #1 or even #2, but easy.

Hope this helps.