Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I don't want anyone to sit in my car anymore

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 05:57 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I don't want anyone to sit in my car anymore

I'm pissed. After driving a group of friends to a club, I have noticed the front passenger seat has wrinkles on the leather. I didn't yell at my friend cuz it just didn't make sense to take a car over a friend. However, the leather of the back seats is okay. Argh, I really don't want anyone to sit in my car anymore.. at least not guys. I think I'm a bit crazy but this is my first Lexus and brand new car, and I baby her a lot.
Attached Thumbnails I don't want anyone to sit in my car anymore-dsc00388.jpg  
Old 09-16-06, 06:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

That's just normal wearing. Can't expect it to be in prestine condition forever. I'm sure at some point later on, you'll have to drive someone and if you're gonna fight over it, you'll regret it in a few years after the car is old. nothing to get worried about, althought I know how you feel about a new car and such. Leather will always be replaceable
Old 09-16-06, 11:21 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You call that leather wear? You should take a look at my driver side seat with just 3,500 miles on the clock.

Last edited by pocky; 09-16-06 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-17-06, 01:14 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you really need is an anti-gravity suspension force to allow you to sit just above the seat without applying any pressure. Then the leather would look new forever.

In all seriousness, you cannot avoid what is a normal process. You can only take care of the leather conscientiously, and replace it in 5-10 years if it bothers you that much. It IS a wear item. Anyway, that pic shows me some pretty nice leather really, if you're that picky, you'll be perpetually disappointed in any car with a leather interior.

Really though, just try to enjoy the car. The leather looks fine.
Old 09-17-06, 02:16 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I recommend that you ask the dealer for the plastic covring that came on the seats when the car originally arrived at the dealer. Some people might think it's tacky, but hell with them. At least your leather won't show any wear.

Seriously, I think you are expecting too much if you experct leather not to show any wear. Try Lexol. It might help keep it looking new.
Old 09-17-06, 04:46 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wrinkles add character to the leather...honest! I like the look of wrinkles in leather, within reason of course.
We got a new leather sofa a few years ago and it looked terrible until it had been sat on for a while and developed some wrinkles. Now it looks (and is) so much softer and more comfortable to sit on than when it had a totally smooth and "tight-looking" (for lack of a better description) surface.

I say, enjoy your wrinkles!
Old 09-17-06, 05:44 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated, that is normal wear. Is this your first experience with leather seats? If it is you're in for a rude awakening. Surely your driver's seat looks worst than that since you're always sitting in it. It will get worse than that and there is nothing you can do to prevent it - it's just a characteristic of the material. If you don't like it then the only alternative is fabric.
Old 09-21-06, 12:40 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seat covers
My mom is a real estate agent and her leather seats are used alot...but one particular woman was severely overweight/overweight/fat...so the 95 es 300 has the seat adjustment panel on the side...so that got broken in half and the cushion got messed up.
Old 10-04-06, 12:56 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol when i first saw this thread i laughed but serious its ok normal wear on your seats nothing to be worried about
Old 10-04-06, 01:35 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
I'm pissed. After driving a group of friends to a club, I have noticed the front passenger seat has wrinkles on the leather. I didn't yell at my friend cuz it just didn't make sense to take a car over a friend. However, the leather of the back seats is okay. Argh, I really don't want anyone to sit in my car anymore.. at least not guys. I think I'm a bit crazy but this is my first Lexus and brand new car, and I baby her a lot.
I understand your feeling and I am getting used of riding with my wife only. Those stretching marks sometimes recover natually and you cannot expect keeping a car at blinking new condition forever.

Yup, it hurts especially when you have rough friends in your rides..
Old 10-04-06, 09:59 AM
MLEE4984
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't expect it to stay crispy like that forever, best thing you can do is take care of it more often and "try" to keep it crisp. That comes with wear-n-tear.

-Mike