Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

brush the snow off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 05:11 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default brush the snow off?

Winter is coming soon, and it will be my 2IS' first winter. What type of brush should you use to remove the snow off the car? I'm afraid the ordinary brush will put a lot of scratch marks on her.
Old 09-24-06, 06:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

NOTHING will save your paint from getting scratched because the snow will have contact with the paint. You'll get some swirls, but you can also minimze it.

Here is what I suggest:
http://www.pinnaclewax.com/oxosnowbrush.html

But DO NOT brush the snow completely off the car. Remove it to the point where there is about 1/4" of snow left on your car. After that, let mother nature melt the rest of the snow. Trying to completely remove snow on your car will just cause even more scratches.
Old 09-24-06, 10:38 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those snow brushes will scratch the clearcoat surface. If you wax your car diligently, you can use car wash brush to get rid of the snow.

If the snow becomes icy on the paint, leave it alone. The ice on the hood and roof will melt away as you drive. Just be sure to scrap off the ice on the windshield and windows. Clear the side mirrors and windshield wipers, too.
Old 09-24-06, 10:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

agreed, which is why he should brush off the snow until there is 1/4" of snow left
Old 10-14-06, 08:48 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Being very **** to the paint of my car, my suggestion is NEVER NEVER use any kind of brush on the paint of the car. You will definitely get swirls and hairline scratches.

Of course, you can use a good snow brush for the glass for the visibility.

If your car has some good quality wax or sealant, (eg, Zymol, Zaino, etc) and your car is not very dirty when it is snowing, the snow actually doesn't stick to it and when you drive the car off, most of the snow should be gone.
Old 10-14-06, 08:51 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Kinda misinterpret the situation. So if there is thick snow on the car and if a car wash bay is available, I would just hose off the snow. But then it is the ideal case.
Old 10-14-06, 09:19 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snow... whats that?
Old 10-16-06, 12:07 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

I understand trying to be carefull with your baby but recommending to leave the ice on a car is very dangerous. While on the highway when the ice starts to melt it can dislodge in chunks and hit the windshields of other drivers.
Old 10-16-06, 12:50 PM
DakotaRX
Driver

I can understand not using the "brush" type snow brush. But to just leave it on there and drive off is not good either. For one thing the snow on the hood will blow back into the windshield and defroster inlets in the cowl which can cause your windshield to instantly fog over. The snow coming in the intakes and then being blow up thru the defroster system which has now warmed it up and turns it to moisture. Other thing is snow off the top blowing back over your rear window or into the windshield of vehicles behind you. I often just use my gloved hand (leather type with no metal clips or snaps) to brush it off. Last winter found a "snow broom" on the internet which is made with a foam that really works and does not harm the paint. Has an extendable handle so works great for getting the top of SUV's as well as regular cars. You can find them at "Herrington's" and a few other places on the net.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud. Grey/Black interior with Black Birdseye Maple, NAV, ML, HID's with AFS, Rain Sensing Wipers, Towing Package with OEM hitch, 18" Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4's.