Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino....3 years later...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 01:04 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teeman3
Explain this....my car has been on Zaino for 3 years and my friend's car next to me on the right has not been treated w/ Zaino. The other car has been detailed professionally and to his knowledge they don't use Zaino. Same year and same color (Millenium Silver) for both cars.

But if you look closely, my color is different that his.

I've detailed my car w/ my own hands w/ no electric rotary buffers for the past 3 years using the Zaino 1,2,3 step process method.

In person, my color is a lighter silver and the other car is a bolder and yellow-ish silver.

Could it be that Zaino may diminish some of the silver color even though the actual paint color is underneath the clearcoat? So after many many Zaino applications, the actual original color may have a change over the years? Interesting, huh?

At a meet a few months ago here in Chicago we had two GS' that were silver parked right next to each other. We noticed a slight difference between the two and it turned our that they were two different silvers. Or at least I think that was the reason. It also might have been that one was taken care of better than the other. Anyhoo, your car looks great.
Old 10-10-06, 01:17 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Very nice!!!

I have also religiously used Zaino for 3 years now and my cars paint finish is in excellent condition.

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
At a meet a few months ago here in Chicago we had two GS' that were silver parked right next to each other. We noticed a slight difference between the two and it turned our that they were two different silvers. Or at least I think that was the reason. It also might have been that one was taken care of better than the other. Anyhoo, your car looks great.
Yes, the silver on 98 and 99 GS's was alpine silver (my car is that color). In 2000 they brought out a yellowish silver called Millenium silver. So there is definitely two different silver colors on Lexus cars depending on year.
Old 10-10-06, 06:51 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same year and same color (Millenium Silver) for both cars.
I don't think the year/color is the problem. I still think its the type of polish and methods used (hand applied Zaino vs machine buffed non-polymer polish).
Old 10-14-06, 08:25 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Teeman3,

Your car looks fabulous. Did you get the clear bra for the entire hood?

One thing that baffles me is even if you use good wax/polish such as Zaino, you still get the road debris and small stone chips in the area which is not covered by the clear bra which shows the sign of years of usage.
Old 10-14-06, 10:05 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Teeman3,

Thanks for the extra picture. Btw, I forgot to mention that I like the front badge (The Soarer) Obviously you are a true JDM fan.

I have my car just a little short of one year and I have the clear bra installed in a similar situation. (ie, a full pre-cut kit) I was told that in addition to a good quality wax/sealant, spraying the Plexus on the film would help since it seals the micro pores of the film. In a way it helps resisting staining.
Old 10-16-06, 06:23 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Hey Teeman,

Nice looking car! Makes me want a SC430 even more. Oh, I better stop lurking in the SC430 forum.

Ok, I have a few questions for you. Aside from minor discloration (yellowing right?), how is your clear bra holding up after 3 years? I had mine installed by Aerotect three weeks ago, so it's in excellent condition. Any hardening of your film? How do you maintain the film edges? My edges seem to be a magnet for dirt. Also, how bad is the discoloration? Is it very obvious? My car is white so any discoloration will show up fairly easily.
Old 10-16-06, 09:18 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lifespan of Clear Bra
--------------------
1st year of clear bra = no discoloration
2nd year of clear bra = no discoloration
3rd year of clear bra = very minor yellowish or darker color of film
4th year of clear bra = predicting the same as the 3rd year
5th year of clear bra = same as 4th year
after 5 years = time to replace if the film does not match the paint more than 50-70%

To clean the edges of the clear bra
----------------------------------
1. For wax residue, dust and tiny particles, take a painter's brush and brush from left to right
2. If it doesn't come off easily and stuck to the edges, wet a microfiber towel and gently rub the edges from left to right.

comments
----------
After 3 years, there is very little discoloration and isn't noticable from a distance of 5 feet or more. Within 1 feet, by looking at an angle, the film is slightly darker or faded color. This is probably due to the harsh sun's ultraviolet rays over the years.

Also, the edge lining on the hood is clearly noticable due to the dirt/wax residual that was stuck in there over the years.

The film holds very well and there are no signs of deterioration such as bubbles, rips or any of the lining of the hood/front bumper/headlights to become unfastened unxepectedly.

To my knowlege, the film does not "harden" over time.

You would wash and detail your paint the same way you would do (over the clear bra) just like you didn't even have one in the first place. It's an invisible shield that is sustainable to mother nature and any detailing chemical that comes in contact w/ it.

The space shuttle and many NASCAR vehicles use the same film for protection from atmospheric changing temperatures and debris.

Question
--------
Anybody here that has clear bra for 5 years or more. Please testify.
Old 10-17-06, 12:08 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

teeman (or any other Zaino users), how do you use the Zaino?

My friend who just started using it does it in this manner:
1. regular wash with Meguiar's washing soap
2. clay bar
3. wash again with Dawn dish soap
4. Zaino (not sure what specific product he is using)

Are you doing something similar? Also, have you used any other Zaino products aside from the one you mentioned? Why do you choose that one over the other product they offer? Im sorry to be picking your brain(s) but Ive never had any experience with these types of product but I am hearing and seeing great things from them and am starting to look into it.
Old 10-17-06, 01:46 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
teeman (or any other Zaino users), how do you use the Zaino?

My friend who just started using it does it in this manner:
1. regular wash with Meguiar's washing soap
2. clay bar
3. wash again with Dawn dish soap
4. Zaino (not sure what specific product he is using)

Are you doing something similar? Also, have you used any other Zaino products aside from the one you mentioned? Why do you choose that one over the other product they offer? Im sorry to be picking your brain(s) but Ive never had any experience with these types of product but I am hearing and seeing great things from them and am starting to look into it.
Do a quick search for Zaino. It has been covered extensively.
Here's a link to a sticky.
Clearing up some Zaino questions

Your friend might want to change his/her order.
1. Dawn (1 time only. do not repeat or use on a regular basis)
2) claybar
3) shampoo wash
4) Z2 or Z5 polish + ZFX Accelerator
5) Z6 or Z8 detail spray

repeat #4, #5 as needed or until elbow gets sore

Dawn (a degreaser) is used to remove any impurities on the paint (ie: existing wax, dust, etc). Because Dawn is abrasive, you should use this only the first time you use Zaino. Excessive use will remove paint and clear coat if your car has it.
Old 10-18-06, 08:15 AM
HKN
Lead Lap

I Hear Nothing But Good Things About Zaino And My Friend Also Uses It On Their Lexus. I Was Talking To A Friend Of Mine In The Detailing Business And He Recommended Pinnacle.

So After A Full Discussion, I Purchased The Pinnacle Kit And Loved It. I Also Have A Friend That Detailed His Gs With P21s And The Result Was Just As Impressive.

So I've Seen Zaino, P21s, And My Pinnacle Kit In Action. They All Look Great And I Can't Tell The Difference Immediately. However, More Research Tells That The Longevity Of Pinnacle Is Greater Than That Of The Other 2. And The Application Of Pinnacle Was Cake. So Easy That A Girl Friend Of Mine Is Buying The Kit To Detail Her Own Car After She Used Mine Once.

Does Anyone Know Or Speak To The Longevity And Use Of Pinnacle?
Old 10-18-06, 08:20 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by HKN
I Hear Nothing But Good Things About Zaino And My Friend Also Uses It On Their Lexus. I Was Talking To A Friend Of Mine In The Detailing Business And He Recommended Pinnacle.

So After A Full Discussion, I Purchased The Pinnacle Kit And Loved It. I Also Have A Friend That Detailed His Gs With P21s And The Result Was Just As Impressive.

So I've Seen Zaino, P21s, And My Pinnacle Kit In Action. They All Look Great And I Can't Tell The Difference Immediately. However, More Research Tells That The Longevity Of Pinnacle Is Greater Than That Of The Other 2. And The Application Of Pinnacle Was Cake. So Easy That A Girl Friend Of Mine Is Buying The Kit To Detail Her Own Car After She Used Mine Once.

Does Anyone Know Or Speak To The Longevity And Use Of Pinnacle?
One comment not related to your question, but this is eating me and I have to ask you - don't you find it awfully hard to type like that? Capitalizing every single word??
Old 10-18-06, 08:41 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tod071
Do a quick search for Zaino. It has been covered extensively.
Here's a link to a sticky.
Clearing up some Zaino questions

Your friend might want to change his/her order.
1. Dawn (1 time only. do not repeat or use on a regular basis)
2) claybar
3) shampoo wash
4) Z2 or Z5 polish + ZFX Accelerator
5) Z6 or Z8 detail spray

repeat #4, #5 as needed or until elbow gets sore

Dawn (a degreaser) is used to remove any impurities on the paint (ie: existing wax, dust, etc). Because Dawn is abrasive, you should use this only the first time you use Zaino. Excessive use will remove paint and clear coat if your car has it.
Dawn is a dish washing soap. It is not at all abrasive. There is no way that it will remove clearcoat or paint. The purpose of using Dawn before applying Zaino is to remove any old wax in order for the Zaino to adhere properly to the paint.
Old 10-22-06, 11:17 AM
talwang

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Here in my SC430 that is also zainoed with zfx after 3 years (about 100 coats) on a cloudy day.
Maybe it is just me...I tried to top it with ZFT twice (3 coats each) before, but the result was not as good.

Here is another pic I took on a sunny day about half an year ago

Last edited by talwang; 10-22-06 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-22-06, 12:29 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

^^^^ nice sc
Old 07-07-07, 07:07 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

You have clayed it twice since the last application of Zaino?? Doesn't the clay remove the actual zaino you have applied on?

Nevertheless, Zaino is the BEST! Period.

I use nothing but the Zaino stuff myself and currently have about 16 coats on my alpine silver GS.

I will not steal your thunder and show a pic of mine, but will just paste in a link here in case you want to see it.

Just like you, I wash the car myself only. No buffers, or machine washing or car wash has seen this car.

http://gs400.ca/gallery2/main.php?g2...serialNumber=1

http://gs400.ca/gallery2/main.php?g2...serialNumber=1

Quick Reply: Zaino....3 years later...