Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino....3 years later...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06 | 02:26 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Default Zaino....3 years later...

I started Zaino applications 3 years ago and it still looks like new. Always a showroom finish. I have clear bra so the Zaino is harmless on it. No more water hoses or car washes. Just spray Z6 and wipe off. It's that simple after a heavy rain downpour or dusty day.

This is a great forum where I have learned many things about detailing in general.

background info:
---------------
I opted not to purchase the special interior/exterior coating offered by the dealership.
I've been using the standard Z1, Z2, Z5 and Z6 + claybar. No ZFX.

Last edited by martini3; 03-04-08 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-28-06 | 02:53 PM
phlog
Driver School Candidate

Very Nice. I gotta pick some up.
Old 09-28-06 | 04:25 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

All that Zaino has paid off. Car looks spectacular. If you don't use soap/water doesn't the car get scratched with dirt and debre when you just use the Z6. I would think the dirt would get trapped in the cloth and cause scratches? I've never used Zaino before... Thanks

Tony
Old 09-28-06 | 07:26 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

That's why I use a microfiber towel and once that side is dirty, I flip it right over to the cleaner side, vice versa.

After that, I hand wash the microfiber towel w/ lukewarm water via dishwashing liquid, hang it to dry and use it again.

When the microfiber towel gets dull, I break out a new one.
Old 10-04-06 | 10:25 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by tmf2004
All that Zaino has paid off. Car looks spectacular. If you don't use soap/water doesn't the car get scratched with dirt and debre when you just use the Z6. I would think the dirt would get trapped in the cloth and cause scratches? I've never used Zaino before... Thanks

Tony
yes it will cause the rain will leave deposits on your car id wash after a rain and if it was dusty use a car duster to remove the majority then use the spray detailer !!
Old 10-07-06 | 10:29 AM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

looks great. I love Zaino too, but would never wipe dust from my car with Z6.
Old 10-07-06 | 01:42 PM
JoesIS250
Driver

i often detail my car but havent gotten to "zaino-ing" it yet. i know it does take some time with mupltiple steps and though yes it is worth it afterwards ( your pictures speak for itself ) im not sure if i have the energy to do these steps. yes yes im admiting that im getting old-er
Old 10-07-06 | 07:54 PM
jjwalker
Driver

I'm doing the Zaino process today and tomorrow, I'll post some pics once I'm done. Joeis250 do you go to work vai old trenton road? Think I've seen you on my way to work.
Old 10-08-06 | 09:53 AM
jjwalker
Driver

Originally Posted by teeman3
Could it be that Zaino may diminish some of the silver color even though the actual paint color is underneath the clearcoat? So after many many Zaino applications, the actual original color may have a change over the years? Interesting, huh?
I don't know what the orginal color your car is but I think yours looks better. I read Zaino is 99.9% optically clear. So I would think whatever your friends detailer is using has added the yellowish tint?
Old 10-08-06 | 12:02 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

How long does Zaino last? I'm thinking about doing it on my mom's Sienna as minivans are a pain in the butt to wax, especially the roof.
Old 10-08-06 | 07:28 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

jjwalker,

Whew! Thanks for giving me confidence in Zaino. I thought that Zaino would diminish my paint but I guess not. I believe my friend's car was detailed either w/ a professional wax-based or brand-name waxes.

That make sense regarding the yellowish wax that waxes may contain in their ingredients.

I only thing I know about Zaino is that this is a polymer sealant which is different than your regular wax-based application (according to their web-site).

so I guess I was able to sustain and preserve the original lighter millenium silver after all these years. Zaino on folks....

nthach,
Zaino last as long as you want it to. The more applications, the more the mirror and shiny finish will be. It's like a shield of armor.

Last edited by martini3; 10-08-06 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-08-06 | 08:16 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Could it be that Zaino may diminish some of the silver color even though the actual paint color is underneath the clearcoat? So after many many Zaino applications, the actual original color may have a change over the years? Interesting, huh?
No. In fact, Zaino is very clear optically so what you see if done right is what you get.

If you look at cars that were treated with Zaino from Day 1 you will see that the paint (under most circumstances) will remain wet and reflective over its life.
Old 10-09-06 | 12:14 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Explain this....my car has been on Zaino for 3 years and my friend's car next to me on the right has not been treated w/ Zaino. The other car has been detailed professionally and to his knowledge they don't use Zaino. Same year and same color (Millenium Silver) for both cars.

But if you look closely, my color is different that his.

I've detailed my car w/ my own hands w/ no electric rotary buffers for the past 3 years using the Zaino 1,2,3 step process method.

In person, my color is a lighter silver and the other car is a bolder and yellow-ish silver.

I think your friend should be asking the question of why his Mil Silver is yellow-ish. I had a Mil Silver GS300 and had used Zaino since day 1 and it looks like your car in the pic, Silver and Wet.

I've since gotten "greener" and picked up a neptune blue mica RX400h. My friend bought the exact same RXh and gotten his car detailed by a pro detailer using non-Zaino products. He said the color looks different than when he bought it. I'm thinking it could be the detailer and the way he works the buffer.
Old 10-09-06 | 12:18 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Oh, BTW....I've also noticed that others have used Klasse/NXT waxes and their results looked extra-ordinarily "wet" finishes, also. At one point, I almost stopped my Zaino step processes and was going to switch over to the Klasse/NXT crowd. But since I already invested w/ all the Zaino products, I had to keep on going and use them up.

I may try Klasse/NXT someday.

Has anyone who was on Zaino for a period of time switched over to a non-Zaino brand such as Klasse/NXT?

If so, were the results the same or better?

thanks..teeman3
I have had the same thought. I'm assuming so long as you strip the Zaino off with a Dawn wash and claybar, you should be fine.
The only reason why I haven't tried was if I didn't like it, I'd have to Dawn strip the NXT off and do it all over again. Too much time at risk for me.
Old 10-09-06 | 11:23 AM
jjwalker
Driver

Has anyone who was on Zaino for a period of time switched over to a non-Zaino brand such as Klasse/NXT?

If so, were the results the same or better?

thanks..teeman3

Teeman3,

I don't know about NXT but I've used Klasse over the years and it is more difficult to use then Zaino. You car says it all, I would stick with Zaino.

Quick Reply: Zaino....3 years later...