Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

HELP needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 05:24 PM
smooche
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP needed

so the other day, my dad decides to spray a polurethane sealer on these chairs he refinished..he forgot to close the door to the garage and the polyurethane got airborn and settles on my WHOLE car.. glass, rims, paint, everything. the chrome rims look like ****..the paint feels like sandpaper and lost its gloss, and the windows are hazed....

i tried waxing it but it didnt do anything. i also used a buffer/polisher i got at sears and that didnt do anything either...

is there anything anyone can reccommend to me that could possibly take it off?
Old 10-08-06, 06:06 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clay will probably remove it. Do a search on "clay" or "clay bar" in this forum and you will find instructions on how to use clay.

You can pick up some clay and lubricant at any major auto parts store.

Dont worry -- it will come off. Waxing the car may have made your job a little more difficult than it needed to be (waxing will cover the polyurethane). Once you have removed all of the overspray, THEN put a good coat of wax on the car to protect it.
Old 10-08-06, 08:43 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

See a good body and paint shop for advice on what chemical will take it off.

No need to guess on what is needed. There should be something commonly available at a reasonable price.
Old 10-09-06, 12:32 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd use a 50/50 alcohol/water solution to remove all the overspray. Claybar to follow. Regaular shampoo wash followed by a layer of polish.

Usually, I would use Dawn to strip any residue, but I'm not too sure if it'll work on the overspray that you have. That's why I recommended the alcohol. I used it on my GS when I had some HARD water spots and worked wonderfully.
Old 10-09-06, 06:25 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Classic use of clay. This is what clay was made for, removing oversparay.
Old 10-09-06, 07:53 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tod071
I'd use a 50/50 alcohol/water solution to remove all the overspray. Claybar to follow. Regaular shampoo wash followed by a layer of polish.

Usually, I would use Dawn to strip any residue, but I'm not too sure if it'll work on the overspray that you have. That's why I recommended the alcohol. I used it on my GS when I had some HARD water spots and worked wonderfully.
That^

Use the alcohol/water to soften the sealer, then use clay to remove it. Remember to re-kneed the clay often, and use a new piece when it becomes saturated with sealer or you will scratch the paint.