Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detail experts; need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 04:24 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Detail experts; need your help.

Hi there. Just picked up my car from the body shop (a creep backed into my car and took off. Minimum damage, but had to replace bumper cover, and fix fender). Here's my problem.
Paint feels like sandpaper everywhere, especially on horizontal surfaces, like hood, roof, and trunk. Used Griot's Garage fine hand polish, and sides are almost perfect now, but the hood, roof, and trunk barely changed. Place supposedly had a 'state-of-the-art' sucking system for overspray, but guess not.

Anyway, body shop said to bring car in to treat it with 'clay magic' (seems like clay, no?), but prefer to fix it myself.
Before spending the money on a kit, do you think it'd take care of the problem??
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-12-06 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-12-06, 07:58 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, this is what clay is made for. I'd take it back and have them do the claying if it were me. They should make it right.

If you want to do it buy a clay kit and use plenty of lube. Break the clay into two or three pieces and put the unused pieces in a baggie. If (when) you drop a piece of clay toss it and fetch one of the unused pieces. Clay a small section (2' x 2') at a time and feel the surface to be sure you have removed the overspray. Wipe down with a microfiber and move on. When you finish the paint do the glass and then finally the wheels. Polish and wax after using the clay and you should be happy with the results.

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Hi there. Just picked up my car from the body shop (a creep backed into my car and took off. Minimum damage, but had to replace bumper cover, and fix fender). Here's my problem.
Paint feels like sandpaper everywhere, especially on horizontal surfaces, like hood, roof, and trunk. Used Griot's Garage fine hand polish, and sides are almost perfect now, but the hood, roof, and trunk barely changed. Place supposedly had a 'state-of-the-art' sucking system for overspray, but guess not.

Anyway, body shop said to bring car in to treat it with 'clay magic' (seems like clay, no?), but prefer to fix it myself.
Before spending the money on a kit, do you think it'd take care of the problem??
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-12-06, 10:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

clay bar does magic on cars. that's why i clay and fully detail my car every yr
Old 10-13-06, 01:42 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have said to take it back and show them how bad the job was. But, since you'd like to take care of it yourself, I'd agree with Rominl and jfelbab. Get a claybar, then shampoo wash, then polish/wax.
I'd personally do a full Zaino package. Dawn wash, claybar, Z7 wash, ZFX/Z2 polish, Z8 deep gloss detail spray. But that's just my $.02.