Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Problem with black paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 03:08 AM
B@tm@n
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with black paint

The thing is that I let let a pro wax my car and what turned out that he wasnt a pro. The car had little scratches all ower it when i got it back. I was thinking if there was a possibilitu to get those scratches off. Those scratches are not visable normally but when I stand under a light they are visable. Do you think a hard wax could do the job?
Old 10-14-06, 03:15 AM
trocade
Driver School Candidate

I got the same thing, a lot of tiny scrathes that are visible if you look really close.

If they are like mine they should go away with some polishing.
Old 10-14-06, 03:53 AM
korean32
Driver School Candidate

Your detailer induced swirls during the wash or polishing phase. To get them out will require an abrasive polish with a rotary or DA buffer/polisher. Check out detailcity.com forums for additional info and techniques.
Robert in Guam
Old 10-14-06, 06:51 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Just because he did a **** poor job doesn't mean he's not a pro... Most of the "professional" wax jobs that I've seen SUCK. Do yourself a favor and invest some time into learning some good care care maintenance and waxing/polishing techniques. Meguiars has an excellent website with a TON of DIY tips and techniques. Once you practice and master these techniques, you'll not only save yourself a ton of money, but you'll have a finish on your car that very few "professionals" can match

Javier
Old 10-14-06, 07:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Guys I'm moving this to the detailing forum. Please search for 'swirl' and 'scratches' in this forum and you'll find loads of threads with great advice.
Old 10-14-06, 08:31 AM
B@tm@n
Pole Position

Thx for the tips.
Old 10-16-06, 11:57 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your "pro" detailer certainly wasn't a pro. You'll need to polish that out by hand or by PC. Check out the results we were able to get at the CL Meguiar's detailing day:

Before:

After: Left side by hand using Scratch X topped with NXT and the right side using a PC with #80 topped with NXT:
Old 10-31-06, 08:21 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

sweet mother of god that looks GOOD!
Old 11-04-06, 03:37 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

can we get that same result using meguires by hand, like the scratch x , and polish, an glaze, and wax, or is it a must to have the PC and some abrasives.
and also
can we use clay bars on black cars, i mean i can see my finger marks if i rub my hand on the car, so im thinking that if i use a clay bar, then it will make it wose, so some help please
Old 11-05-06, 07:08 PM
Mako1
Driver School Candidate

First wash your car with dawn dish soap, that will remove all of the wax from the vehicle. If you can still see the scratches then use a clay bar, be sure to keep the area moist with the lubricant. This will take a couple of hours but is well worth it. Once done apply a high quality wax by hand. I have owned several black cars and this has been done by me yearly with outstanding results.
Old 11-05-06, 07:43 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSspeed
can we get that same result using meguires by hand, like the scratch x , and polish, an glaze, and wax, or is it a must to have the PC and some abrasives.
and also
can we use clay bars on black cars, i mean i can see my finger marks if i rub my hand on the car, so im thinking that if i use a clay bar, then it will make it wose, so some help please
The left side of the after pic above was done by hand using Scratch X, so it can be done. It will take you a while (a LONG while) and your arms will probably feel like spaghetti afterwards. A PC is a worthwhile investment IMHO.

And yes, a clay bar can be used on black cars.
Old 11-05-06, 09:32 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by SDLexus
And yes, a clay bar can be used on black cars.
Just make sure to keep it WELL LUBRICATED or you'll end up with streaks on your paint that you'll need to use scratch-x or similar to take out. Don't intend this comment to discourage you from using the clay (do it, I recommend it), just make sure to be careful because Lexus 202 black onyx (especially) will pick up marks if you don't do it right. Voice of experience.