Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Problems with black paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 01:46 PM
Gary H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with black paint

I have a new black Is 350, I was putting on a layer of Meguar detail or wax ?

as I have done on my other non black cars. In the shade, I had trouble removing the material ( detail wax or cleaner ) Stupid me was using a terrycloth towel , haze hard to remove. Finallly used a wet towel to get the glaze off. Now I have left some imprint of the effort to remove the glaze.

Only shows up in sunlight but I can see it.

I have ordered some adams products and a PC unit and pads. What should I be careful of.

thanks
Old 10-17-06, 02:24 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wax-based detailing products tend to harden if left on for a period of time and it's harder to wipe off smoothly. What you should have done was get the Meguiar's Quick Detail spray and microfiber towel. Spray a mist on the was residue and gently wipe off and buff w/ the microfiber towel.

Terry cloth towels are harder to buff the wax residue off due to the separated fiber strands. Microfiber towels are thinner and have a softer surface which is better for buffing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this has worked for me.

Be careful not to create any swirls w/ the PC and pad and gently use circular motions or the same direction of the imprint to remove it.
Old 10-17-06, 02:35 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Was that is hard to remove was probably applied way too thick. If this ever occurs again you can simply reapply some more wax and it will dissolve the hard residue.

To remove swirls you should wash, and clay first then apply a polish. I prefer Meg's #80 or if the marring is more sever #83. Usually one or two applications of #80 are all that is needed.

The PC is a wonderful tool for maintaining a flawless finish but remember that it is easier to avoid swirls than to remove them. The PC with #80 is really effective and safe. Use a polishing pad and run a circle of #80 around the pad and place it on the paint. I dab it three times in an area about 2' x 2' then start the pc at speed 3 and begin spreading the polish. Next up the speed to around 5 and apply some pressure and slowly cover that area until the polish breaks down completely but not so long as it dries. Examine your results and if the swirls are not removed re-apply. If after two - or three attempts step up to a more aggressive product like #83. Continue this process, overlapping the work area until all the swirls are gone. Remember that if you use an aggressive product like #83 on black you will most likely need to step back to #83 as a final polish to get the best finish.
Old 10-17-06, 11:11 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is PC just out of curiosity?
Old 10-18-06, 05:01 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

PC is the Porter-Cable Dual-Action Orbital Polisher AKA, Meguiar's G100, the Porter-Cable 7424, or the Porter-Cable 7336.