Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

HELP. Those swirls are killing me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 02:46 PM
B@tm@n
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP. Those swirls are killing me!!!!

What do i have to do to remove swirl marks? My car has it all over it self.

PS. posted this on the detailing forum but cannt get an anwer.
Old 10-24-06, 03:03 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You have options:

1. Use a sealant with heavy fillers that will temporarily hide the swirls;

2. Hire a professional detailer to polish your car to remove the swirls; or

3. Buy a PC or similar random orbital buffer and remove the swirls yourself.

I went with option 3, but I'm a car care nut. If you do go with option 3, make sure you buy a decent abrasive polish, and cutting pads. I use poorboys SSR2.5 most of the time if swirls are moderate, and use an orange (cutting) pad. I then step down to SSR1 with a white pad to remove any remaining marring, and then layer a sealant like Klasse AIO and a wax on top of that. You can use a sealant or a wax (or both), but waxes should always be the last step if you use them. Just make sure the wax you use doesn't have cleaners in it, or it could remove some of the sealant.

Please keep in mind that, even if you get your paint perfect. it WILL get marred/swirled again unless your car is a garage queen. Regardless of the option you choose, avoid automated car washes, learn how to properly wash your car, and don't use old bath towels to dry your car. All of these contribute to keeping your car swirl free longer.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-06, 03:09 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Don't drive it and hide it under a nice glow-in-dark cover so you will never have any swirl marks!

Yeah, I feel you bro!
The best thing to do is wash the car very carefully and clear-bra entire car. Any car will age!
Old 10-24-06, 03:11 PM
ExKoukiS14
Rookie

here's a tip. Try to prevent swirls from occuring.
Use Microfiber towels to dry your car. Make sure the towels are dry and never "drag" the towel across your car. What i normally do is lay the towel on the surface and then lift the towel off the surface. I then use a smaller microfiber towel to dry anything the larger towel didn't pick up.

So far so good. But i also never go to an Car wash. -Even if they say 100% hand wash. They use old towels to dry and i think that's where a lot of swirls come from.
Old 10-24-06, 11:40 PM
hguy4x
Driver

get a porter cable 7424 with the proper equipment.

1. Wash your car
2. Use a claybar to clay your car (gets rid of unseen dirt that is still there, if you run your finger over your car it'll still feel bumpy).

3. Use a medium cutting pad with your Porter Cable with something like Menzerna's Intensive Polish or Poorboy's SSR 2.5 or Meguiar's #9. Polish a panel. Wipe. Move to the next panel until you're done. (the purpose of this is that it will get rid of most if not all moderate swirls)

4. Use a light cutting pad with your Porter Cable with something like Menzerna's Final Polish II or Meguiar's #2. Polish a panel. Wipe. Move to the next panel until you're done. (the purpose of this is to remove all the micromarring that is left with the Intensive Polish. leaving you with a pretty much swirl free paint)

5. Glaze or sealant. Use a finishing pad with your Porter Cable with something like Klass All In One (AIO) or Meguiar's #80/#82. I personally use ClearKote Red Moose. Others use a mixture of Red Moose and Vanilla Moose. Etc. etc.

6. FSP (final step product). Use a different finishing pad with your Porter Cable with a Wax or Sealant. It could be Poorboy's EX, EX-P (which are synthetic sealants). Most people I know LOVE the look of Pinnacle's Sovereign Paste Wax. Too bad its bank. I personally use Poorboy's Natty Blue Paste Wax (which like sovereign is real carnuba wax.), which I think gets the 80-90% of sovereign with out the cost. Apply as many times as you'd like. if I have the time I do 2-3 coats a week. But sometimes I only have time for 1 coat a week.

As a weekly routine, I wash and wax my car. I only go through this process maybe twice a year. Way too time consuming to do it any more than that.
Old 10-25-06, 12:37 AM
B@tm@n
Pole Position

Where can i buy those cutting pads, this pc and the wax? Does meguiars have polish to use with a PC? Here in Iceland is very hard to find products like these
Old 10-25-06, 12:54 PM
hguy4x
Driver

Originally Posted by B@tm@n
Where can i buy those cutting pads, this pc and the wax? Does meguiars have polish to use with a PC? Here in Iceland is very hard to find products like these
For the porter cable I would try your local hardware store. Its the Porter Cable 7424 or the Makita B06040. You'll need to buy a backing plate, pads, polish, glaze, wax. I would see if www.autogeek.net. They have a 10% coupon code for us that would probably help offset the cost of shipping. I think its CL-0902. Not sure. but you can check the sticky in this forum. Outside of that most of the products listed you can't get in-store (at least in the US.)

Here's a forum thread from autopia (haha once you get into this you'll be spending lotsa money, I know I did) about places that offer international shipping:
http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79421
Old 10-25-06, 01:06 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

GOOGLE IT WITH KEYWORD "AUTO DETAILING" or "Porter Cable 7424".
They all offer similar prices. Look for the package that comes with all different kinds of pads from soft to hard.

Here is a sample link...
http://www.premiumautocare.com/das-polisher-kit.html

It only works well if you do it right and need a lot of time for each waxing job.

I would save the money and let the pros to do a $800 detailing job each year that including chip reppairing and redo the clear coat.

Hey, the dealer offers a similar package when you buy the car for additional $2,000 for the first 5 years (dent-protection and clear coating), and they even cover the dent repair (upto 1x1 in-sq)! Sometimes, the dealer actually acts as a nice guy!
Old 10-26-06, 12:25 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm partial to Zaino, but just heard about ZPC, Zaino Fusion - Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover
Zaino Fusion

There was someone on a G35 forum that used it with some pretty nice results
ZPC on G35

No PC necessary. this might be hijacking or a topic for a new thread, but does anyone have experience with ZPC?