Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to get rid of Gum on Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-06, 01:03 PM
anwar1337
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get rid of Gum on Leather?

Well, my drunk brother didnt realize it but he sat on a piece of gum then sat in the passenger seat with it on his pants and its all over the bottom part of the passanger seats leather. If anyone knows of any solvents that will remove it or any other way of removing it, that would be great ! Thanks

-Raheel
Old 11-13-06, 06:44 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Raheed, you have a few choices, including ice, but here's what I would try:

Use either Murphy's Oil Soap or even peanut butter (creamy) and let it sit on the gum a few minutes. It'll soften it up and the oils will loosen the gum from bonding to the leather. Then simply wipe away with a clean cloth. Or put a damp warm rag with Murphy's soap over the gum for a bit, until it begins to get soft and loosen. Don't rub hard when wiping it off.

Others have had success heating up the gum first with a hair dryer, but I'd prefer you don't unless the above doesn't work at all. Isolated heat can expand the leather in that area, creating wrinkling that is hard to impossible to reverse.

WD40 or Goo Gone (citrus based) might also work, but try and avoid all solvents such as Goof Off etc. as they will likely damage the leather. since they contain Xylene and other harsh chemicals.

The ice and freezing it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but it can't hurt to try if all else fails.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-13-06 at 06:45 AM. Reason: typo