Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What prep should I do before waxing a 10 year old car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 03:35 PM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What prep should I do before waxing a 10 year old car?

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice on how to get a 10 year old black car back into shape. It has been washed, but never waxed and has a matte finish now, no shine whatsoever. From reading theses past posts the last week, am I suppose to use an aggressive swirl remover to get out 10 years of neglect first? Any product recommendations are also appreciated.

I don't want to turn this into another Zaino thread. I can do a search for that. I just want to know what I need to do before I apply my Zaino?

I just bought a PC 7424 and the following products...

The Deluxe Foam Pad Kit from Lake Country:
6.5” Orange Pad
6.5” Yellow Pad
6.5” White Pad
6.5” Black Pad
5" Flex Backing Plate
6” Lambswool Pad
2 Microfiber Bonnets
2 Terry Bonnets
2 Microfiber Towels

Zaino:
ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
Z-2 PRO™ Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-5 PRO™ Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
Z-6™ Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Z-7™ Show Car Wash
Z-18™ ClayBar
TWO Zaino Custom Polish Applicators

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Last edited by lexuspdx; 12-01-06 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-01-06, 04:26 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The two most important things you'll need now are polishes (compounds), and patience. It sounds like the car is going to require some serious compounding, it is likely the matte finish is oxidation, which can become extremely hard and be touch to remove along with any marring on the paint. There are many polishes and everyone has their favorites, for "novice" porter-cablers I try to recommend the most user-friendly polishes, instead of the "absolutely most effective", because the difference in effectiveness is small while the difference in usability is large. So here is what I would recommend for you, you can get all of this at topoftheline.com. It's three polishes from three brands (which is weird, normally folks recommend all from the same brand, but I will explain why I am not).

The first is the heavy compound, it is called Hi-Temp Heavy Cut (or 357 Magnum) (http://topoftheline.com/32ozheavcutp.html). It is a fantastic compound for the PC because it cuts as well as Menzerna Power Gloss or Poorboys SSR3, but finishes down MUCH more clean and is easier to use. It's very populat at Autopia, and one of my favorites. If you really think you need something even MORE aggressive, they also have Hi-Temp Extreme Cut, although this is so aggressive it can be hard to use with the PC. You will use this with a yellow or orange pad.

Second is Optimum Hyper Compound (http://topoftheline.com/optimum-poli...compound.html), this is a moderate-heavy compound that you may or may not use. Why would I recommend it if you won't use it? Well, if the paint on the car is soft you will use it, if it isn't you won't. Why? Well, if the paint is soft the Heavy Cut will leave enough micromarring that you will need an interim step in between it and the finishing polish to finish with no micromarring. Since you didn't mention the kind of car I don't really know if it's soft/hard paint. Let me know the type of car and odds are I can take a guess whether you'll need this or not. If you do use this you will use it with an orange or white pad.

Finally, Menzerna Final Polish II (http://topoftheline.com/menfinpolll.html), aside from Meznerna 106FF (which is very expensive), this is one of the best finishing polishes around. Odds are you'll be able to go directly from heavy cut to this and finish down clean. You will use this on a white or black pad (white if the paint is relatively hard, black if it is soft).

So, in general, assuming the paint is average to hard (which it probably is if it's a 10 year old car), your process will look something like this:

Wash
Clay
Compound with Heavy Cut on an orange or yellow pad, use the orange first, if that doesn't cut it try the yellow. If THAT doesn't do it you may need a more aggressive compound or to try your wool pad, but odds are if Heavy Cut on a yellow doesn't do it, you need a rotary. It's a very aggressive combo.
Try finishing down with FPII on a white pad. If you notice this finishes down well, continue. If you notice micromarring from the Heavy Cut that FPII isn't getting rid of, switch to Opt Hyper on a white, do the whole car, then move to FPII.
After you're done with FPII, wipe the entire care down with a mix of alcohol/water 50/50 in a spray bottle (regular 70% rubbing alcohol). This will remove any left over polish residue, will help you clean the windows and remove polish dust, and will leave the paint clean for Zaino.
Mix ZFX with Z5pro is provided container.
Apply Mix either by hand will supplied applicator, or via PC on a black pad. Most important - APPLY THIN, Really, really thin, Less is more, thin thin thin.
Let it sit, then buff off using Z6 and a microfiber.
Repeat up to 3 times in a 24 hour period.
While you're waiting for the Zaino to haze/set, do things like dressing the wheel wells, dressing the trim, polishing the chrome/exhaust, and dressing the tires.
Profit.

It is likely that this will take you all day, it would take me all day and I do this every single day; so I would set aside two full days on a weekend. After the first compounding step you will be tired!

For tips on how to use the PC head to Autopia and start reading.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-01-06, 06:22 PM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Hey picus,

Thanks for all the great advice. Your awesome! I will go to to topoftheline to order those products soon. Sorry, I forgot to mention the car. It is an 99 Acura CL, Black. Gave mother-in-law this car after I got the IS. She will be happy with whatever I do.

My car is a Black IS 350 X-pkg. I got it professionally detailed... wash, clay, Meg. wax when I purchased the car. It was kind of spendy, $150. But hey, I didn't have to do all the work. Now I just want the satifaction of waxing it myself.

I just got a digital camera, so I will try to post a picture of the car when I learn how. Definitely will post before and after pictures and the IS after I get it done too.

Does temperature make any major difference? The average temperature in Oregon is 45 high and 35 low. I plan on washing the car outside and doing the rest in my garage.

I thought it was going to be all day job . Now it looks like it's going to be a 2 day job .

Thanks!

Last edited by lexuspdx; 12-01-06 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-01-06, 08:41 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexuspdx
Hey picus,

Thanks for all the great advice. Your awesome! I will go to to topoftheline to order those products soon. Sorry, I forgot to mention the car. It is an 99 Acura CL, Black. Gave mother-in-law this car after I got the IS. She will be happy with whatever I do.

My car is a Black IS 350 X-pkg. I got it professionally detailed... wash, clay, Meg. wax when I purchased the car. It was kind of spendy, $150. But hey, I didn't have to do all the work. Now I just want the satifaction of waxing it myself.

I just got a digital camera, so I will try to post a picture of the car when I learn how. Definitely will post before and after pictures and the IS after I get it done too.

Does temperature make any major difference? The average temperature in Oregon is 45 high and 35 low. I plan on washing the car outside and doing the rest in my garage.

I thought it was going to be all day job . Now it looks like it's going to be a 2 day job .

Thanks!
Heya - temperature won't make much difference when polishing, however it can make a difference when sealing. Zaino can get a bit streaky below 50F, but you should be OK in the garage. In fact, aside from washing I'd do it all in the garage. Get a couple halogen lights (500W, they're cheap at Home Depot), and use those to monitor your work.

It could be a one day job, on a severely oxidized car like a '99 CL I would estimate 6-7 hours for me, but I move pretty quickly and I use a rotary, so with a PC and assuming you take your time I'd say the polishing will be one day, and the sealing will be the next.

FWIW, a '99 CL should be pretty good to work on. The oxidation will make the paint seem harder than it is, but once you start to sluff it off the paint shouldn't be too hard, so it'll polish well.

Oh, one thing; if you only have one of each pad you're going to have to clean the pad a few times during the compounding. Two reasons, first it will get bogged down with polish and be less effective, second the oxidation will come off the car on to the pad, and will saturate it. If you notice this happening take the pad and run it under hot water, maybe use a brush to brush some of the gunk out. To dry it put it on the PC and put the PC in a bucket, then turn it on speed 6... the water will fly out of the pad and dry it out.

Cheers.
Old 12-02-06, 09:56 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

picus,

I was on the computer last night looking to buy the products you recommended. My wife came in and when I was telling her about how helpful you are and products you recommended me to buy. she told me she was on you tube and saw a Pinnacle XMT video. She thought since I was going to do her mom's car, she bought me all the stuff below for my PC.

I don't think she knows I already bought the Zaino?

It's exactly the products from the video she saw on you tube.

Pinnacle XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover Complete Kit!
Kit includes:
12 oz. XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3
12 oz. XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1
12 oz. Carnauba Finishing Glaze
6.5 inch Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad
6.5 inch Lake Country White Polishing Pad
2- 6.5 inch Lake Country Gray Finishing Pads
2- 16 x 16 inch Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths
2 Cobra 70/30 Microfiber Bonnets
Polish ‘N Wax Applicator

Will these products work as well? I don't want to spend 2x the extra $ if it will also do the job. Keep in mind my in-laws are just happy if I wash the car. I'm think that I can use the XMT #3 after the HI-Temp heavy cut? Would that be sufficient? I think I will have more products than I will ever need before I even start. Maybe I'll start detailing the rest of my family's cars for Christmas presents... that's crazy, what was I thinking

Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Old 12-02-06, 10:45 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Heya - don't worry about it, the Pinnacle polishes are actually pretty good. So yes, your process will be something like this now:

XMT #3 via orange or yellow. XMT #3 isn't quite as aggressive as Heavy Cut, but it *should* do a reasonable job.
XMT #1 via white or black (probably white). This is a good finishing polish.

Now, you could still but the heavy cut, but I would try just using the ones she got your first. If they work, bonus; if not grab some heavy cut and use that first. The nice thing about what she got you is it comes with a couple extra pads, which you will probably use (cleaning them mid-detail is a pain).

Now since you got Zaino you're going to skip the carnauba glaze; Zaino will not bond over this.

I am not a big fan of microfiber bonnets, I like to remove sealants/waxes with a straight up microfiber by hand, but if you like em go for it.

Oh, and you should be glad you have a wife that buys you detailing stuff. I do this for a living and my wife still won't touch it with a 10 foot pole!

Cheers.

Originally Posted by lexuspdx
picus,

I was on the computer last night looking to buy the products you recommended. My wife came in and when I was telling her about how helpful you are and products you recommended me to buy. she told me she was on you tube and saw a Pinnacle XMT video. She thought since I was going to do her mom's car, she bought me all the stuff below for my PC.

I don't think she knows I already bought the Zaino?

It's exactly the products from the video she saw on you tube.

Pinnacle XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover Complete Kit!
Kit includes:
12 oz. XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3
12 oz. XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1
12 oz. Carnauba Finishing Glaze
6.5 inch Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad
6.5 inch Lake Country White Polishing Pad
2- 6.5 inch Lake Country Gray Finishing Pads
2- 16 x 16 inch Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths
2 Cobra 70/30 Microfiber Bonnets
Polish ‘N Wax Applicator

Will these products work as well? I don't want to spend 2x the extra $ if it will also do the job. Keep in mind my in-laws are just happy if I wash the car. I'm think that I can use the XMT #3 after the HI-Temp heavy cut? Would that be sufficient? I think I will have more products than I will ever need before I even start. Maybe I'll start detailing the rest of my family's cars for Christmas presents... that's crazy, what was I thinking

Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Old 12-03-06, 02:06 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too was a loyal Zaino fan, but after buying a pc and too many products for testing (and an upset wife ) I found that the XMT produces a deeper/wetter look than Zaino. Zaino does last longer and is easier to apply, once you are done with the prep work.

But, with any product, it doesn't matter which product you use, if the paint is not prepped properly, you won't get good results.

With the products you have, I'd skip the Zaino and XMT3, XMT1, Glaze. Then, pickup a good caunauba wax, like Collinite 845/476 for added durability and deep, wet look.
Old 12-03-06, 07:37 PM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by picus
Heya - don't worry about it, the Pinnacle polishes are actually pretty good. So yes, your process will be something like this now:

Oh, and you should be glad you have a wife that buys you detailing stuff. I do this for a living and my wife still won't touch it with a 10 foot pole!

Cheers.

LOL! That's funny. She doesn't have to touch it b/c she has somebody who will do it for her.

tod071, thanks for the reply. My wife may turn out like that if I keep on buying more stuff.
Old 12-05-06, 02:58 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

picus,

on my black IS, I see some micromarring and possible spider webbing. I did two bad washes before I learned the proper way. It was clayed and waxed just after I purchased it. The detailer put Meguires wax on it. Should I use the XMT #1 before Zaino or am I ok to do the following...

Wash w/ Z-7, clay, spray clean w/ alcohol solution and wipe, Z-5 w/ZFX, Z-6 to wipe off, repeat Z-5, Z-6, Z-2, 6-pack, sleep til 2 next day.

I will probably start on this car Thursday and do the Acura over the weekend.

I will hopefully be successful detailing and posting pic by next week.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-06, 05:24 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Well if you've got some marring you're going to want to polish. I would do something like this:

Wash w/ Z7
Clay
Test an area with XMT 1 on a white, if this doesn't work try an orange.
If that doesn't work try XMT 3 on a white, if that doesn't work orange...you get the idea.
Ideally you will be able to use a light enough combo (#1 on a white, for example) that you will only need one polishing step. #1 is very fine though, so it's hard to say.
Alcohol/water
Zaino time.

Alternatively you could suck it up and use Z5 to hide some of the marring until spring, then polish then. In fact, that is likely what I would do...but it's up to you.
Old 12-06-06, 08:49 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just take it to a detail shop. Pay them $300-$400 and let the pros restore it while you watch. It's not worth your own labor.
Old 12-07-06, 03:11 PM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Just take it to a detail shop. Pay them $300-$400 and let the pros restore it while you watch. It's not worth your own labor.
Very true! It's not worth the labor. However, it's not about the money. I'm just really getting into detailing my own cars. I just bought a PC, pads, polishes, sealants, etc. and can't wait to find a day when I can do it. I'm just looking for a new challenge.

Plus, I get the satisfaction of getting it done myself.
Old 12-07-06, 08:51 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, nothing beats doing it yourself.

Since others have already given you tons of advice on what to use. My advice is: don't try to do everything in one day. You'll get tired and start cutting corners. Break the job down to several weekends. Of course, wash and dry the car thoroughly before each stage.

Best of luck.
Old 12-12-06, 01:09 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

I just got all my supplies in the mail. Now the only problem is getting over this nasty stomach flu that has been keeping me down for 5 days now.

The weather here isn't coop. either. Rain all week.

I will try to post pics when I can.