Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car wash in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 06:32 AM
is2fiddy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony59blue
I wash my with hot water. I do live in Texas so it doesn't get as bad as up north. I wait till the afternoon when it gets near 50 degrees or higher. I will be doing it this Sunday when it's suppose to get a high 67.
That's what I do also, I wait till it gets alittle warmer!
Old 12-08-06, 07:08 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use cold water to wash your car, make sure to have a bucket of warm water ready. When your fingers start feeling numb, soak it in the warm water for a couple of minutes so you dont get frostbites. Trust me, I had 3 frostbites from washing my IS in the cold morning. I was that dedicated . Now i just take it to the car wash.
Old 12-08-06, 10:03 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I only hand wash my GX and my wife’s X5. Once the temp is above 45 and a very warm bucket of water is all I need. Prefer to wash in the sun, every bit of warmth helps! Nothing keeps them looking better and also ensures all the salt is off all the paint and undercarriage!
Old 12-08-06, 10:37 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexKimmel
Javier,

Be careful with those touchless car washes (try using a pressure washer and soap, It doesn’t clean the car!!!) They use very harsh chemicals that remove the dirt they can destroy your paint. My friend had a mustang and it completely oxidized his paint and took the clear coat off. The worst part is they refused to do anything about it because it was winter and he didn’t get out of the car to check it out. the Lexus has soft paint to begin with.

If you don’t want to wash it by hand, have some one else do it or use a care wash with soft brushes (swirl marks can buff out).

I'm Just trying to be helpful.
I normally do wash it by hand, but since it's been around 40 degrees outside and there's a drought restriction in effect where I live (meaning we can't use the water to wash our cars) hand washing is not possible right now. The touchless I go to (again, only when I have to) is a high-quality place that actually uses Meguiar's soap. It actually does a pretty good job, but I always follow it up with Quik Detailer anyway, so the end product is fantastic. I also wax my car myself every 2 weeks, so the finish is excellent. I would never go to one of these "hand wash" places, because this is an absolute swirl factory. All you're getting is a hand-application of the grit and dirt from the car before you. You're right, swirl marks buff out, but every time you buff/polish your clearcoat, you're actually wearing it down even further (which is how you get the swirls to disappear). Thanks for the warning though, I appreciate it!

As far as Lexus having soft paint, that's an urban legend propagated by people who don't know anything about automotive finishes. The fact is that paint "hardness" varies from car to car (even on the same colors). If you maintain the clearcoat of your paint, then it becomes almost impossible for any oxidation to occur. What most people refer to as "oxidation" is actually clear coat failure, which happens when you wash and wash and wash and wash your car and never wax it. Since there's no clear coat left to protect the paint (which has a thickness of about a piece of paper), the actual paint starts separating from the sheet metal.

Javier
Old 12-08-06, 11:16 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Cold weather golf rain gloves actually work very well to wash your car when it's cold. It's about 45 in Oregon and it keeps my hand a little warmer. Good grip too!
Old 12-08-06, 05:03 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I've used touchless Laser washes for years with no ill effects. It is much better for the car than leaving the dirt and salt on it. It has not destroyed my clear coat nor damaged my paint in any way.

All touchless washes may not be the same but I have confidence in the one I use.
Old 12-09-06, 04:17 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

I recently bought a really nice long handle soft brush made by Meguir's, so now I don't even have to get my hands wet. I put about 3 gallons of hot water in bucket to wash my car and another 1 gallon bucket to rinse the brush. I run the water right out of the hose to rinse and get that sheeting action going to reduce the water beads and then hand dry.
Old 12-09-06, 06:18 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

With the exception of this past Friday, it's still warm enough to wash my car by myself. I think as the month progresses, it'll get to cold at that's when you have to worry about your outdoor faucet freezing. Pretty soon before our first snowfall, I'm going to have my car washed and detailed to help protect it's finish from the road salt and brine.
Old 12-10-06, 05:45 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful with those touchless car washes (try using a pressure washer and soap, It doesn’t clean the car!!!) They use very harsh chemicals that remove the dirt they can destroy your paint.
It depends on where you go, I guess. I use a touchless car wash near my home. It works fine without harming the paint. Though when it's really dirty, I have to take it to a "touch" car wash that uses chamois strips.
Old 12-11-06, 12:27 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

Be careful with those touchless car washes (try using a pressure washer and soap, It doesn’t clean the car!!!)
Very true. I went to one yesterday to wash my Black Mazda Protege 5 (my guinea pig). I figured even if i wasn't using my nice NXT wash, the high pressure would shoot off the dust and grime, and their sub-par foaming brush should take care of the rest. Took the car out of the wash garage, and as it dried, i saw dust swirls on my car. I had to do it again. I used my wash mit the 2nd time (forgot to bring the NXT soap), and it was better, but it definitely not what i expected from a pressure washer.

I went home and applied polish and wax. Would of been glossier if the wash process was better, but hopefully it'll last the winter. If you have a regular hose at home, which i don't b/c i live in an apt, then there's no point going to a place w/ a "pressure washer."
Old 12-15-06, 11:27 AM
upbull340
Pole Position

In the winter I take my IS to a laser touchless car wash about a mile from my house. When I get home I use Poorboys waterless wash to get off any additional dirt. Still looks as good as the first day. But then I also polish, wax or add sealant on a regular bases. Good luck.
Old 12-15-06, 09:38 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Man its so cold in San Diego....60 degrees
Just washed my car today. (and i heard its going to rain tommorrow)
Old 12-16-06, 12:16 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I've used touchless Laser washes for years with no ill effects. It is much better for the car than leaving the dirt and salt on it. It has not destroyed my clear coat nor damaged my paint in any way.

All touchless washes may not be the same but I have confidence in the one I use.
Me too. Clean is better for the paint then dirty. Plus you need to have your bottom blasted every week
Old 12-24-06, 10:12 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wash the car using a hot soapy bucket of water. I've done it in freezing weather and when it was raining. The hard part is being able to wax the car well... Hard to do in freezing weather.
Old 12-24-06, 11:50 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

havent you guys ever heard of a bucket heater ?? i have 1 and they work great just fill up the bucket with soapy water plug in the bucket heater drop it in the bucket and come back in a couple minutes and the wter is hot and stays that way !! and yes it is safe to stick your hand in the bucket with the heatr still plugged in do a search for it you be happy you did !!!

Quick Reply: Car wash in cold weather