Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car wash in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-06 | 05:17 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

I get it done at a hand car wash, I've taken the car to a detail shop and to my surprise they used cotton towels But once spring comes around it's going to be all me. Damn cold
Old 12-27-06 | 10:23 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

I'd just say go to one of those coin-op places that allow you to use a hose or pressure hose from them. Just spray off most of the initial dirt, run home, then use QD or some other rinseless wash to remove the basic dirt.
Old 12-28-06 | 05:01 AM
sdsilverm3
Rookie

Originally Posted by silkiechic
Just wash the car using a hot soapy bucket of water. I've done it in freezing weather and when it was raining.
^^^ That should take care of the problem. I do a lot of night car washes and usually do that as a routine thing.
Old 12-28-06 | 05:02 PM
Guitarman

I haven't read completely through this thread, but this topic comes up every winter, and I'd like to indicate one warning:

It's possible to thermally shock the paint (very cold paint temperature vs hot hot water in an instant) and that can lead to crazing (tiny cracking/checking of the clearcoat). May not happen immediately, but It CAN happen. The clear, like any plastic coating, can only expand so much so fast. It has only so much elastomeric ability before it ...breaks (in essence).. The "sudden" drastic change is the cause.

So be on the safe side and stick with luke warm to warm water only.

Happy washing!

Last edited by Guitarman; 12-28-06 at 08:23 PM. Reason: more details added
Old 12-28-06 | 09:46 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Easy solution: Bring your car down to Florida for a wash
Old 12-29-06 | 05:54 AM
Guitarman

Originally Posted by lexusk8
Easy solution: Bring your car down to Florida for a wash

HEY GUYS! DOUG'S OFFERED TO WASH EVERYONE'S CARS!!!!

J/k Doug.
Old 12-29-06 | 09:02 AM
thanhvu
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pocky
But I still wash my car by hand, then again; I do live in California.
gotta love cali weather.....
Old 12-29-06 | 11:07 AM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

cali folks wash rain or shine
Old 12-31-06 | 01:34 AM
narfy
Lead Lap

my car gets washed inside our shop... by our lot boys... and they don't scratch my car... new wash mitt every time... just for me...
Old 01-01-07 | 11:57 PM
DrummerK
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Alleviate Those Frozen Fingers!: Free Lexus Car Washes for Life?!

Happy New Year, y'all! Great thread! I'm new to Club Lexus, as I just bought my first Lexus, an '04 Black Onyx LS-430, last Thursday -- definitely the first in a series of many more Lexuses (Lexi?) to come!

Anyway, here in Austin, Texas, it obviously doesn't get as extremely cold as in other areas (we enjoyed a "balmy" mid-70-degrees pre-Christmas season recently!), but I can still relate to not wanting to freeze your fingers off in washing cars during the winter months. (I still have two other cars that are not Lexus.)

Now I'm curious, because no one here has mentioned this yet in this thread (or in any of the parent threads I've perused so far): One of the reasons I like Lexus (pre-owned or new) is because of their great customer care after the sale. A fantastic customer amenity at Lexus of Austin is the completely free car washes for as long as you own the Lexus, and as often as you like. I drive up to the service department anytime during the day six days a week, a valet takes my smart key, invites me to relax in the complimentary Owners' Lounge where they serve a variety of free hot & cold drinks, fruits, rolls/muffins, offer free newspapers, have massage chairs, etc. Then about a half-hour later, the valet comes back with my smart key and my squeaky-clean and freshly-vacuumed "baby," and wishes me a good day -- they won't even accept a tip! Brings a whole new meaning to the concept of "Club Lexus," eh?!

So I'm just wondering: Is this kind of experience unique to Austin? I realize many folks out there just want to wash and detail their own cars so they know it's done right -- that's great! But I guess another effective way to avoid those frozen fingers is having that "someone else" who's willing to wash your car for you!
Old 01-15-07 | 12:53 AM
el3ctone
Pole Position

i just use warm and softened water. reduced the water spots
Old 01-15-07 | 06:07 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

I use Optimum No Rinse in my garage with 2 gallons of lukewarm water but Protect All Quick and Easy Wash works just as well. I would rather eat nails than run my car through a car wash or let a dealer touch it.
Old 01-16-07 | 09:29 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I take my car to the high pressure spray places. I never use the brushes, just the pressure.
Dry it immediately, before it freezes, then take home to my heated garage and wax away.
Old 01-17-07 | 12:17 AM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

I always wash my car by hand! I use that soft lambs wool stuff + gold wash and microfiber towels to dry it....Which reminds me, do you guys let Lexus wash your cars at the dealership? I'm about to take my new car in for a tune-up and everytime I've taken in my other lexus,they've always washed it for me. I'm wondering how **** the dealerships are in washing our cars (will I come out with more swirls? )
Old 01-17-07 | 09:01 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I avoid dealer car washes like the plague - YMMV.

Javier

Quick Reply: Car wash in cold weather