Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Micro Fiber towels

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 04:05 PM
JohnD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Fiber towels

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question on wood maintenance. I have another question concerning micro fiber towels to clean this car. I have read many articles relating to this subject but still remain somewhat confused. I have read to stay away from towels from Korea and China and only purchase the premium towels that are made in the USA. My question is, which ones do you members use, which are the best, and where do you purchase? Does anyone use DF Concours towels? If so, is the website safe to purchase with a credit card? Thanks again for any experiences on this subject.

JohnD
Old 12-07-06, 04:18 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

That's simply bad advice. The best microfiber is from Korea and Asia in general. I have found that PakShak (there is a discount for members here) has the best quality but AutoGeek is also good.

I have tried DF Concours Towels repeatedly and I just don't find the performance there. They are less effective than Pak towels and they are not as soft or well made as advertised. Not recommended.
Old 12-08-06, 07:42 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

you can't go wrong with Ranney at PakShak....not saying his towels are better than everyone else but they are at least as good, the prices are competitive, and the customer service is the BEST!
Old 12-08-06, 05:07 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by yESman
That's simply bad advice. The best microfiber is from Korea and Asia in general. I have found that PakShak (there is a discount for members here) has the best quality but AutoGeek is also good.

I have tried DF Concours Towels repeatedly and I just don't find the performance there. They are less effective than Pak towels and they are not as soft or well made as advertised. Not recommended.
+1

My experience exactly.

Do buy quality MF towels. The cheap ones are not very good.
Old 12-08-06, 06:02 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JohnD
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question on wood maintenance. I have another question concerning micro fiber towels to clean this car. I have read many articles relating to this subject but still remain somewhat confused. I have read to stay away from towels from Korea and China and only purchase the premium towels that are made in the USA. My question is, which ones do you members use, which are the best, and where do you purchase? Does anyone use DF Concours towels? If so, is the website safe to purchase with a credit card? Thanks again for any experiences on this subject.

JohnD
Old 12-08-06, 06:09 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

I've purchased many different types of MF towels. The only ones you want to stay away from are those that produce swirls! It doesn't really matter where they are made as opposed to the quality. I think assuming quality is poor just because they were manufactured in a certain country is just poor judgement.
Old 12-08-06, 07:18 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TripleDES
I've purchased many different types of MF towels. The only ones you want to stay away from are those that produce swirls! It doesn't really matter where they are made as opposed to the quality. I think assuming quality is poor just because they were manufactured in a certain country is just poor judgement.
YES YOU ARE 202% CORRECT!!! Hey guys I used a certain towel once and it made swirls.Any way to make it disappear?
Old 12-09-06, 08:14 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually test microfibre towels by running it over the palm of my hand. If the towel snags on the callouses on my hand, its pretty good. Good microfibre cloth if looked under a microscope have tiny hooked tread that make it so great and removing wax and the like. All microfibre have the potential to scratch but it's not due to the cloth, but due to the dirt it picks up and has remained on the cloth. So you have to be careful not to drop it on the ground and clean it thoroughly. I purchase a brand from Pep Boys for 5.99 for 3 towels in a pack. Usually yellow, green and blue. Does a better job than many so called professional brand. But it's your choice, whatever works for you and gives you the results you are looking for. Go for it.
Old 12-09-06, 12:46 PM
rushmore9
Rookie

I got a huge pack of MF towels from Costco for about 10 bucks. They work pretty well for me =).
Old 12-09-06, 03:08 PM
jfelbab

A good test is to rub the mf across an old CD and see if it leaves scratches. The good ones don't, the bad ones do. I would point out that even if it doesn't scratch it may still not remove polish and wax well. You need to buy quality mf to see why people rave about them. The cheapo products are just another rag.
Old 12-09-06, 04:05 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by rushmore9
I got a huge pack of MF towels from Costco for about 10 bucks. They work pretty well for me =).
I bought those too and were pleased with them.
Old 12-09-06, 04:24 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
you can't go wrong with Ranney at PakShak....not saying his towels are better than everyone else but they are at least as good, the prices are competitive, and the customer service is the BEST!
I agree with all of the above, but I'm saying PakShak towels are the best I've used so far.
Old 12-09-06, 05:08 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated above which ever works for you. I tried many and never had any scratch the paint. Had quite a few do poorly on removing wax. And I have a dark color car.
Old 12-16-06, 12:38 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

How do you guys clean them? Wash/dry at local laundry matt? Mine say to wash and not put in a dryer. I don't have any where to hang that many towels Will drying them in a dryer really be a problem?
Old 12-16-06, 01:51 PM
jfelbab

I wash my microfiber towels in the washing machine with some Woolite or Tide HE using cold water. I rinse with vinegar occasionally. I dry them in the dryer on warm heat.

Quick Reply: Micro Fiber towels