Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Is color sanding necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 12:54 PM
JonCAGS300
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Is color sanding necessary?

I recently had a detail. The paint condition isn't bad, but has built up some minor oxidation or the like over the years, before I bought it. When I picked up the car from the detail shop, they told me that they had color sanded the trunk. It looks great, but is that really necessary? Would polishing with a clay bar or the like be better? Not knowing anything about color sanding, I'm wondering if they really did it too. It sounds aggressive, more extreme than what is needed. They then told me that the whole car could use it to the tune of $300 when I next detail it. What do you think?
Old 12-08-06, 02:29 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

A clay bar wouldnt be better...but it MAY be all thats needed. It would be best to try the clay bar fir$t and check the results.

You'll know if color sanding is needed
Old 12-08-06, 02:57 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Color sanding is needed only to eliminate or match (with rest of car) the texture (orange peel) or to remove embedded dirt or a run in the surface after a paintjob. Generally speaking, it is a last resort on paint because it removes a lot of paint even if you're conservative in your approach.

A buff/polish is always preferable unless you have large issues.

Last edited by Guitarman; 12-09-06 at 06:59 AM.